Chapter Eighteen

The smell of ham and sweet potato pie makes my mouth water as I help Dee and Judy set the table. Today is Christmas Eve and Silas and Mia came over for dinner before Dominic and Judy have to leave. Once everything is done, we all take our seats at the table, passing food around while talking.

Dominic sits next to me, hand covering my thigh under the table, the touch sending tingles down my spine. The past few nights leading up to today we explored each other in the darkness of the room, totally absorbed in each other's bodies. By now, Dominic knew my body better than me. It's like he has an instruction manual on what made me tick.

"So, Sephie, how did it go down at the Bookshop today?" Judy asks, snapping me out of my inappropriate thoughts about her son.

"Oh-uh it was good. The gingerbread cookies were a hit, especially with Dominic" I respond, remember with amusement Dominic taking several home to save for later.

"That's good, Sephie. I'm glad you're making my boy happy," She tells me, reaching over to squeeze my hand, face softening in way that made my eyes sting a little. Sometimes I get a little jealous of Dominic that he has such a great mom.

The rest of dinner is filled with happy chatter. This is the first real family dinner I've ever had and when we're done, I'm stuffed and happy at how the day turned out. Sadly, Judy's flight back home is tonight, she's spending Christmas day with the rest of their family back home. She pulls me into a tight hug before she leaves, and I wave in the driveway as they all leave, grateful for their company.

I nervously go back in the house with Dominic. This is the first time we've been alone since his mom got here. It's perfect for what I have planned for today. I want to go all the way with Dominic tonight since this is his last night here before he leaves. I know we've only been dating for a little while but I trust Dominic with my whole body and heart. I may regret this later if Dominic decides he's bored with me and wants to break up, but that's too painful a thought and I want to focus on what I'm feeling now in the moment.

The sound of Dominic's phone ringing brings me out of my thoughts. When he pulls the phone out and sees whatever is on the screen he lets out a curse.

"I have to take this, Sephie," He says, going into the bedroom. I awkwardly stand in the living room, knowing he wants privacy. I gaze around, surveying the little Christmas tree Judy insisted she buy for us and the presents beneath them. The other day I remembered that I hadn't gone Christmas shopping and made a frantic trip to the mall to get everyone something.

Dominic reappears in the room, jaw tight and eyes hard. "There's been a change in plans. I have to leave tonight," He says.

"What happened?" I ask, disappointed. I was really looking forward to our last night together before he leaves.

"Tomorrow's flight got canceled. I have to leave tonight or else I won't be able to get there on time."

Disappointed, I sit on the bed and watch as Dominic hurriedly packs his clothes in a duffle bag. In the back of my head, I'm slightly relieved that tonight is postponed. I was excited to be with Dominic tonight but it also is a little nerve-wracking.

When he's done packing, I walk with him to the front door. I abruptly stop, remembering the Christmas present I got Dominic lying under the tree. I quickly get before heading back outside. There's a taxi out front waiting for him.

"Here," I say, handing hip the neatly wrapped dark blue box. I've never bought a guy a present before, so I had no idea what to get him. I settled on a beautiful pair of silver cuff links.

"Thank you," Dominic took the box in his hands, eyes softening as he did.

"I want you to stay with your sister and Silas while I'm gone. The MC is still after you and you're not safe here alone," He says, eyes and voice still soft.

"Okay, Dominic. I'll be there in the morning," I tell him. He leans down and presses his lips against mine for a short but sweet kiss.

"I'll call you every day, okay?" He says.

"Okay," I reply. I watch him leave down the driveway, wondering how I'll survive this week without him. When the taxi is gone, I go back inside, noticing how empty it feels in here. I send Mia a text, telling her that I have to stay at her house, before heading off to bed.

Both Judy and Dominic had to leave before Christmas, which is a bummer. The guest room is free now, but I still choose to sleep in Dominic's room. Even though he's gone, his smell is still in the sheets, and I huddle up in them, wishing he was here. It feels strange falling asleep without my head on Dominic's chest or his arm around my waist. I toss and turn for hours, until falling into a restless slumber.