Chapter Fourteen

Montana's POV
I barge into James's room and gag when I see him and Sophia making out heavily.

They pull away from each other and James glares at me. "What?"

"Do you guys want to go on a double date?" I ask.

Sophia frowns and pushes James off of her. "With who?"

"Chase and I," I answer. They both look at each other in worry and then back at me.

"That's not a good idea," Sophia says.

I sit down and furrow my eyebrows at them. "Why not?"

Sophia sighs. "I'm gonna tell her."

James glares at her. "No."

"She needs to know," Sophia says softly. "It's eating me alive James."

James rolls his eyes. "Fine."

Sophia takes one of her hands in mine and stares me right in the eye. "You know about Chase's accident right?"

I nod. "Yeah."

"And how Nick was angry about something that night to cause him to speed across the highway?" I nod again. "He was angry at us," Sophia whispers.

I frown. "Why?"

"Because he found me and James having sex," Sophia says. "And I was still with him."

My eyes widen. "It's your fault."

"Mon-"

"Don't Mon me," I growl. "You killed Nick. And paralysed Chase."

"Chase was stupid enough to get in the car with him," James growls. "That wasn't our fault."

"He didn't realise that Nick would do that," I snap. "This explains everything."

Sophia sighs. "We are so sorry, M-"

"Why are you apologising to me?" I question. "You should be apologising to Chase."

"It's not that simple," Sophia says.

"Uh yeah it is," I say in a Duh tone. "You go up to him say Hey Chase, I'm the reason your in a wheelchair. Sorry."

James rolls his eyes. "Well I'm not apologising. It's his own fault he got in the car."

I glare at him, before storming out of his bedroom.

I need to tell Chase

*
The next day, Sunday, I walk up to Chase's front door and knock. The door opens and I smile at Emily.

"Hello Montana," she greets me. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Neither was Chase," I say. "I actually need to speak to both of you."

"Oh," she says, in a worried tone when she sees my grime expression. "Come in."

I walk inside and walk into the dining room. I sit down and wait for Emily, who brings in Chase. "Hey," he says. "What's wrong?"

He wheels over to his spot, where I sat next to. I lean over and place a quick kiss on his lips. "I talked to Sophia," I say to both of them, sitting back down in my seat. "About the double date thing."

"What did she say?" Chase asks.

"They both said no," I say.

"Why?" Emily asks.

I take a deep breath. "Because they were the reason Nick was angry that night," I say. "He found them having sex."

It's quiet and I see Emily's eye brim with tears. Chase's face remained blank.

He then wheels off and a few seconds later we hear his bedroom door slam. "I knew," Emily whispers.

I zip my head towards her. "What?"

She nods shamefully. "Sophia told me at Nick's funeral."

"A-and you didn't tell Chase?" I ask, my tone confused.

"He was in pain," Emily says. "I-I didn't want to cause more."

I nod. "I understand. You were just being a mum."

"That's why I told him Sophia blocked our number," she states. "I actually blocked hers."

"It just makes me so mad," I whisper. "They are the reason Chase is in that wheelchair and they won't even apologise."

"There's Nothing we can do sweetie," Emily says. "They just need to figure out on their own."

We hear a smash and then a groan. We quickly get up and run to Chase's room.

Emily opens the door and gasps when she sees Chase had fallen off his wheelchair. She pulls him into a hug and he sobs into her shoulder. "I don't understand," he whispers. "Mum I don't."

"I know honey," Emily says, kissing his forehead. "I don't either."

I start cleaning up the mess he made, while Emily helps Chase into his bed

Once Chase settled down, Emily left us to do the laundry. I get into his bed with him and cuddle to his chest. "I'm so sorry," I whisper.

"It's not your fault," he says, stroking his hand through my hair. "It's not theirs either."

I jump up and glare at him. "Are you kidding me?" I growl. "They were the reason Nick was angry, why he was speeding."

"Montana," Chase says, in a soft tone. "It's not their fault because I was the one that got in the car with him."

I take a deep breath. "You didn't know," I croak.

"I know that," he says. "But I also took that risk, getting in the car with him. I knew he was drinking and that he was mad."

I sigh and snuggle back into his chest. "Doesn't make them any less wrong."

He chuckles and kisses my forehead. "I know."