Chapter 1 - Night Out

Y/N = "Your name"

Y/N = "Your name"

May 15th 1943

"Steve quit rushing me!" Y/n exclaimed as she was attempting to comb a stubborn knot in her hair. Steve Rogers, one of her two best friends, was tapping his foot impatiently at the door. "I know it's your birthday and all, but me and Bucky were hoping to be at the fair by 5:30." Ignoring his comment, she finished what she was doing and slipped a pair of rose pink heels on. She stopped in front of Steve, to which he smiled and gave her a nod in approval of her outfit.

Just as they had stepped outside, Bucky waved at them from down the street. "All dressed up now are we?" They met him in the middle, when Y/n scoffed and hit him playfully.

The three had known each other since they were only in grade school, an instant connecting drawing the three together.

"We are not going on The Cyclone this time, you know what happened last time Buck."  Steve said to Bucky who was now grinning at the memory. "You mean when Y/n wouldn't let go of us and you throwing up once we got off?" Y/n rolled her eyes. "There are plenty of other rides we can go on, as long as it doesn't go upside down, I'm fine."

The mid-evening sky had melted to a dusky pink, the cottony clouds reflecting the flamed colors the setting sun had casted. Streams of warm lights were hung across the red tents that brought the night to life, as the park filled with countless people and families, all beaming with delight of the colorful park.

"Listen, tonight is dedicated to Y/n having the best birthday possible." Steve raised an eyebrow, to where Bucky followed "Aaannd there's a smaller chance we won't go on any scary rides." Bucky hung his arm loosely around his best friends as they reveled in the feeling of once again being together. Y/n looked at the ground and smiled while shaking her head.

"But we can't forget about you, Bucky. You're being drafted in less than a month, we want to spend as much time possible with you before you go." Her smile faded a bit. Bucky only nodded in response, knowing that the conversation would only sodden the cheery mood he had been hoping to maintain for the night.

"There's the hotdog stand up ahead." Steve pointed. "Maybe we should go on the rides before eating." Y/n hummed in agreement and they headed towards the center of the park towards the rides.

About an hour and a half had passed, and the three had ridden nearly all of the rides (approved by Y/n), deciding now to try out the games and grab a bite to eat. "Cotton candy, anyone?" Y/n gestured towards the stand where the fluffy pink and blue treats were being sold.  "I'll go for some" said Steve.

As they stood in line, they realized Bucky was nowhere in sight. "Where'd he run off to?" Y/n glanced around the crowd of people. "I'm sure he's fine, do you think he wanted any cotton candy?" She shrugged. Steve decided he'd grab him one just in case.

They walked around where the games were, hoping to see Bucky somewhere amongst all the people. Y/n smiled as she watched a young girl riding on the back of her father's shoulders, the mother walking and laughing next to them as the girl flailed around a small doll. 

"Do you ever think of ever going to war, Y/n?" Steve suddenly spoke from beside her. Y/n glanced at Steve who was looking down. She pondered the thought, deciding on the best answer. It wasn't a question she'd been asked often. "I want to help out in some way, but I probably couldn't be much use for anything." She frowned. He nodded in response as they walked in silence.

Steve was always insecure about his short and skinny figure. Compared to Bucky, he often wished he was more like him, athletic and all. Despite that, he and Bucky were both amazing artists and were both highly talented. They were also best friends, and Bucky didn't see himself as being better than Steve. Y/n didn't have the same artistic talent as Steve and Bucky, but instead she was a cellist and pianist, making them all creative in their own way.

They look straight ahead at the back of the fair, when Y/n's gaze landed on Bucky playing a milk jug game. "So this is what you were doing?" Steve laughed. He had clearly been playing for a while, judging by the bored look the worker was giving him.

"You got this, Buck!" Y/n and Steve shouted and clapped from behind him. Bucky kept his eyes trained on the white bottles, trying his hardest to win a stuffed bear for Y/n, which she had been talking about earlier. He had used up most of their transit money, meaning the three would have to find another way home. "Bucky don't worry about it let's go, you've blown almost three bucks on this game." Y/n gave him a sympathetic smile. He ignored her, determination in his eyes as he handed the worker the last of his money.

He took a deep breath, chuckling at his own overdramatic act. "This one IS the one, I'm sure of it." Steve and Y/n blinked when only a few seconds later, heard a "YES!!" Steve was laughing while shaking his head. Y/n leapt into his arms, pulling Bucky into a tight hug. "You're the best!" His warm smile met her gaze.

"Anything for you doll".