21. Leaving??

It's been two days since Nandini spoke to him. If he asks something, she just answers with one or two words. Manik was annoyed with her way of answering; whenever he wanted to talk with her, someone would disturb him. He wanted to explain himself, but she hasn't given him any way to do so. All he got was a silent reply; he couldn't concentrate on anything other than Nandini.

Morning arrived, 

Nandini was arranging the breakfast. Soon, Manik and Ragini came with Priya. She served them silently and took her seat beside Priya. Manik glanced at her when she sat far from him. Everyone was eating in silence. Out of nowhere Nandini asked, "Umm... Daadi, now ma is fine, so can we shift to outhouse? ". Both Manik and Ragini got shocked after listening to her question. Manik knew why she was asking this question.

Priya didn't think about anything else as she felt Nandini was right. Ragini asked immediately, "What happened, beta? You don't like to be here... or someone said something to you?" Nandini does not have the proper words to answer her, but still she managed, "It's not like that, daadi; I am working here, and it's not good to stay here." It's been more than a month since I have been here. Now mom is perfectly fine, and I am going to stay here only a few feet away. "I hope you understand.."

Ragini said, "Okay, beta, as you wish, but don't forget your grandma." Nandini smiled a little and said, "Never.." Manik had not expected that Ragini would allow her to leave. He completed his breakfast and washed his hands in the kitchen. 

He asked Shanker Kaka, "Kaka, do you have any work outside?" Kaka answered, "Ha baba needs to buy vegetables; Nandini beta is going out to buy them." Manik smiled inwardly and left, mumbling "okay" to him.

He drove off from the mansion and halted his car at the next street. He then called Aman and informed him that he would be late to work. After something like an hour of waiting, he spotted Nandini on the street.

He got out of the car and walked towards her, who was walking completely lost. He called her "Nandini." She stopped listening to a familiar voice and was shocked to see Manik approaching her. She felt nervous suddenly. He reached her with big steps and said, breathing heavily, "We need to talk.."

She stammered, "I have to buy vegetables; I am getting late." He answered, "I have bought everything; come with me. She followed him without having an option. He opened the door for her; she sat in, and he closed the door. He then jogged on the other side and settled inside. She noticed a big basket full of vegetables on the back seat.

He drove them to the beautiful restaurant and parked the car. She came out of the car before he opened the door. He sighed and both entered inside the restaurant; the manager escorted them to an empty floor.

Both sat comfortably, but Nandini was nervous, so he ordered coffee for both of them. Manik took a sip of water and asked calmly, "Why are you avoiding me?" She gulped at his question; she did not expect him to ask directly. 

She answered looking down: "I am not avoiding you." They were served coffee, and he asked, "Then why do I feel that you have been avoiding me? Look into my eyes and answer."

She slowly raised her head and looked directly at him, saying slowly, "I... " She doesn't know what to say; she kept fidgeting without saying anything. 

He sighed and asked, "You are avoiding me because of my confession, right?" She raised her head slowly, hearing his question, and looked away.

He started saying, "I know you are shocked, but Nandini... I don't know when and where it happened." I feel peace whenever I am talking to you. These days I am living a happy life, and the reason is only you".

She looked at his calm face, and he continued, "I want to see your face every day. When I am tiredly coming back from the office, you are there to welcome me. After seeing your face, all my tiredness goes away. When you are taking care of us with your love, I don't know how to mention that I am feeling ecstatic. There are so many things I wanted to confess, but I am scared that you will take me wrong."