2. I'm Nobody's Toy (Casey)

What? Did I hear correctly? This perky boy doesn't even know me.

   "I'm nobody's toy," I snap at him, "and am not adorable for sure. And could you, please, not use this ridiculous pet name."

   I try to focus on his face to see who he is but the light is too dim and my glasses are of no help. "Do I know you?"

   He only chuckles louder and shakes his head. "We haven't been officially introduced but you've seen me at the University."

   Then he sighs remorsefully, "Sorry for the pet name. I meant no offence. It kind of suits you though. A lot of guys actually dream of being in your place. Who wouldn't want a bunch of cool girls to adore him?"

   He stretches his hand to me. "I'm Avery. You can call me Ave. Nice to meet you!"

   I hesitate for a moment, but take his hand and mumble, "I'm Casey," still a little annoyed.

   We shake hands and the cogs in my brain begin to move slowly. I know an Ave from the University but that can't be him. The way he was talking to me implied that he had noticed me with the girls and knew the name they used for me.

   Avery I am thinking about, though, could not have possibly paid any attention to the existence of my humble persona. He is smug and haughty and always the center of attention, being the most popular guy on the campus. I'm sure he's never laid his eyes on me for the two years that we have been in one and the same specialty.

   Lilly and the girls talk about him all the time, but I doubt that any of them has ever exchanged a single word with him. He has his group of friends, as cool and hot as him, and never communicates with anyone outside his circle.

   But, on the other hand, although I'm not very sociable, I know everyone, at least by name, and can't remember about another Avery.

   No-o-o, it can't be him!

   I make another attempt to distinguish his features in the dark.

   "You wonder what I look like?" he chuckles again. "Mostly disheveled and sleepy."

   He takes the phone from my hand and activates the screen, bringing it close to his face. I take a glimpse and gasp, seeing the messy brown hair, swept to the left, the big green eyes, the plump lips, stretched in a wide smile and the insanely sexy dimples.

   It's him.

   I feel the deep red color instantly covering my burning face. Damn it! I couldn't have chosen a worse pace to hide.

   "What? Are you blushing? Am I making you uncomfortable?" he exclaims, lightening up my face. "You are a timid bunny, aren't you?"

   "Give me back my phone," I hiss. "Not everyone can be as self-confident as you. And stop calling me bunny. What's with you and the pet names?"

   Then I realize that it's actually me who has intruded in his bedroom and he hasn't done anything wrong except teasing me a little.

   "I'm sorry" I mutter regretfully, ready to storm out of this unfortunate shelter. "I'll leave you now."

   I try to get up from the bed but he suddenly grabs my arm. "Wait! Casey, I'm sorry. I know you're shy. I shouldn't have teased you. Please, don't go."

   I sit back stunned. Why would he want me to stay?

   I wonder what to say and finally blurt, "So this is your house. Why are you hiding at your own party?"

   "Because it's boring," he huffs. "I made it for my birthday. People kind of expected it from me. But it's always one and the same. Everyone gets drunk and the house turns into a night club. It's smelly and noisy and gives me a headache. I really found it exciting a year ago, but now I only want some peace."

   "That's exactly why I got in here," I mumble. "But unlike you, I've never found it to be fun. This is, I think, the third party Lilly managed to drag me to and it isn't getting better."

   Then it strikes me that I might have offended him and quickly add, "Not that your party isn't good. It's great. I... just don't seem to know how to have fun."

   I pause, amazed by how many words I've chattered. I don't remember me ever talking so much in front of someone I've just met.

   I suddenly realize what he told me. "Oh! Happy birthday! I'm sorry, I don't have anything to give you, I mean as a present. I... I didn't know that this was a birthday party. "

   "You mean, you would've brought me a present if you knew? It's so sweet." He sounds surprised and somehow pleased.

   My eyes have slowly adjusted to the semidarkness and I see that he's smiling.

   "Yeah, sure," I confirm. "I'm sorry I came uninvited."

   "You're not uninvited. I asked Lilly to come and bring her friends. You're one of them, so technically, you have an invitation."

   I don't know what to say except "Thank you!"

   "You're welcome. I thought you all weren't coming though. You still weren't here at ten p.m., so I assumed that the girls have come up with another plan for the evening."

   What? He actually cared if I and the witches were going to come? The surprises never end tonight. A strike of guilt flushes through me and I feel the need to explain.

   "Sorry, it was my fault. I had a dinner with my parents and everyone had to wait for me. I told them a thousand times that I didn't want to go but they were persistent. I have no idea why since they ditched me the moment we got here."

   "Girls! You can never understand them." Ave shrugs his shoulders and changes the subject. "How come you weren't scared of Mozart?"

   "You have a great dog. I could immediately tell that he's a sweetie," I beam. "I love dogs and he's adorable. Not a one to count on to guard you though."

   "You have no idea how right you are," Avery bursts into laughter.

______________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who made it through Chapter 2.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤

What do you think of Casey and Avery?

Do you think this meeting is fortunate or unfortunate? 🤔

I really want to know about your first impressions.

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself, and criticize if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny