35. A Smart Cookie (Ave)

I can't recognize my shy, sugar bunny.

   Casey has suddenly turned into a totally different person. Curiosity and excitement brighten his face. He's running from one desk to another with sparkling eyes, asking thousands of questions, all of them highly professional and on point. 

   I'm stunned. He's come up with several ideas for improvements in only thirty minutes. Everyone in the team is infatuated. I even feel a little jealous, but mostly incredibly proud of him and of the fact that he finds my work so interesting.

   Maya, the only person I know, who's obviously more shy than Casey, is glued to his back, scurrying after him, with a look of total worship, as if she is surrounded by gods.

   "Wow, I can give you that, every time you decide to visit, you cause a total turmoil," I hear a soft chuckle behind my back.

   I turn around and grin warmly to my team leader Smiley. 

   His name is Theodor, but everyone calls him that because of his nice personality. He's a big man in his middle thirties, six feet tall and 290 pounds, at least, and the most agreeable person I've met. Nothing can shake his composure which is an essential quality in his job. Things often get hectic with 'MTS', but he always solves it somehow, before it reaches the users.

   "Nice to see you, man!" I pat his bag. "How are thing going lately?"

   "You wouldn't be asking, if you came more often," he laughs, pinning his gaze on Casey. "I can see, though, that you've been busy lately. Where did you find the blue-eyed beauty? I can tell that he's a smart cookie too."

   "You can bet on it," I chuckle. "Believe it or not, he perched on my bed on his own, on my birthday."

   "Really?" Smiley snorts, full of doubt.

   "Well, I kind of organized a small set up, but I don't think it would've worked," I shrug my shoulders.

   "Ahh, that's more likely," he sneers. "Wait! You mean he came in, despite Mozart?"

  "I'd say, actually, because of him. They have a total crush on each other," I grin.

   "I advise you to watch out," my friend laughs. "The furry bastard is a total heartthrob and way sexier than you."

   It strikes me that, while talking to me, his stare is glued to the dainty secretary we've brought with us.

   "Do you like Maya?" I ask suspiciously. 

   "Who wouldn't," Smiley sighs. "Isn't she the most adorable, little thing you've seen? My heart aches when I think that she has to spend the whole day with your sister. Sorry, I didn't mean to..."

   "Don't sweat it," I chuckle. "We all know Ebony. Did you know that your 'little thing' is actually a software engineer?"

   "Really?" he shrieks excitedly. "I can give her a three month trial. What do you think? I always need more people."

   "We have a deal!" I beam. "We were going to visit HR later, anyway."

   "What about your boyfriend? What does he do? Do you think he'd be interested? I'm very impressed by him," Smiley asks carefully.

   I suddenly feel slightly ashamed. I don't really know what Casey's interests are, besides that we go to the same University. I have no idea if he has a job.

   "I'll talk to him," I answer, "but can't promise anything."

   "Good!" Smiley nods. His expression becomes serious. "Listen, Ave, I know that you don't like me questioning your decisions, but we need to talk about that new functionality you intend to announce."

   "What about it?" I frown.

   Smiley looks at me intently, "You can't disagree that it's not a good idea to disclose details in public before we have the patent. I'm sure Ivan would never agree. It's reckless." 

   "Why are you worried then, if you know that my grandfather won't allow it," I retort.

   "Because, I know you," he huffs. "You've always been able to convince him to sign under quite risky ventures. I'm not saying that you haven't always been successful so far, but you have to consider all the pros and cons. It's a year of hard work that can easily be stolen without the legal protection. Do I have to remind you that 'MTS' could've been in the hands of the completion now, if it weren't for a happy coincidence."

   "This won't happen again," I state firmly. "I can't wait the Patent Office to respond. That procedure seems to be stuck in first gear."

   "It's your decision," Smiley shrugs his shoulders. "I had to say it. Otherwise, you know that I'm always with you." 

   His voice fades as he's distracted by the two cuties, walking towards us.

   "Can we come here every day?" Casey squeaks, throwing himself on my neck, giving me a mind-blowing kiss on the lips. 

   Wow, software development creates miracles for his timidity. I'm almost convinced to move and live in the office.

   "Sure, babe," I mutter, dizzy by his closeness.

   "I need to go," Maya says quietly. "Thank you so much for letting me come here with you, but I really need to take those files to their destination."

   "Yeah, right," I shake off my indecent thoughts. "Let's go. We can also arrange your three month trial in the development department. You know your future boss, I believe."

   Maya gazes at Smiley in total stupor for few seconds and suddenly screams with face as red as a poppy, "Oh, my God! Really! Thank you!"

   "No problem!" he shrugs off dismissively, but I can see that he's thrilled.

   "Oh, wait!" Maya's face drops. "I can't just quit my current position. Ebony will kill me, if I leave her without a secretary. She'll never let me transfer here, unless I offer her an alternative. She hates making interviews."

   "Shit! Who'd take such a job willingly," I frown. "Besides, I'd never let someone do it, unless the person is able to be one jump ahead of my sister's ploys. I doubt such a person exists."

  I feel a hesitant tug on the sleeve and turn to Casey, whose face is an adorable mix of red flames and blue sparks.

   "I might have an idea," he mutters.

___________________________________

Photo by Luis Fernandes from Pexels

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 35.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Do you think Smiley has a chance with Maya?

Any guesses what Casey's idea might be?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you think it's necessary. 🥰

Don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

It's the best reward an author can gain.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny