64. Kids! (Casey)

My heart is ready to jump out of my chest. My eyes are full of tears. I see almost nothing, but I keep running across the enormous garden. I can't concentrate enough to follow one of the numerous alleys, winding around the house. My trouser legs are getting tangled in the flowers and the shrubs I'm skipping over, but I am not slowing down. I have to go out in the open to be able to breathe. This monstrous house, mounting over me, is suffocating. I hate the palm trees, lined up as soldiers on its both sides. I don't see the sky. There is no air.

   "Bunny, stop! You'll hurt yourself. Everything will be ok. I promise! Casey, please!" Ave's voice is desperate. I can feel the panic in his words. Because of me! I'm not even brave enough to stand beside him and face the consequences. I'm nothing but a coward. He's right to call me bunny. I'm just a frightened rabbit, hurrying to hide in its hole.

   Where am I running to? How am I going to live without him? This is not only the end of a business project. It's not the end of a beautiful love story either. It's simply the end of me. I dared to reach for the stars. I flew too high. The fall will be excruciating. I doubt I will be able to survive it.

   I finally see the ostentatious fountain in the middle of the parking area and take a deep breath without slowing down. Mozart who apparently has been chasing after me the entire time, starts to bark somewhat happily. There's an enormous black limousine close to the alley. Maya and Smiley are standing next to it waving to me. I'm puzzled. What is happening? They've probably seen the press release and are here to talk to Ave and try to reduce the damage. Oh my God! How am I going to face them when they find out whose fault all this is?

   I look back to see if Avery is following and this is when I slam head-on into someone large and strong. The man is obviously at least a foot taller than me because my face ends up buried in a thick, fluffy, white beard, reaching down to his chest. He doesn't move an inch despite the speed at which I bump into him. I bounce off his impressive, iron chest, but there is nowhere to retreat since Mozart jumps on my back, rearing up on his hind legs with excited whines and growls. I am sandwiched between the too, barely catching my breath.

   "Easy boy! Hahahaha! You haven't forgotten me, have you! Sit down, you flea bag!" The deep, strong voice has an immediate effect on the mischief. Mozart sits obediently next to the man, wagging his tail. The stranger keeps laughing while patting the dog's head. His laughter is loud, honest and soothing. It makes his whole body shake. 

   I take a step back and look at his face. Two bright, warm, green eyes meet mine from under his glasses. His smile is broad and reassuring. He looks in his sixties, a typical hipster, fashionable, sophisticated and confident, someone you can rely on.

   "Oh, what do we have here?" The man reaches and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Are these tears? Come here, son! My dear daughter and that stuck-up, snobbish husband of hers surely don't deserve them. You must be the handsome, smart boyfriend I've heard so much about. Come, Casey! I can tell that you desperately need a hug."

   I have no time to answer because I am instantly squeezed into a bear hug. The man starts to rub soothingly my back. It feels just like Avery. I relax in his arms and suddenly feel safe, as if not everything is lost and things can somehow be fixed. 

   He releases me only when Ave reaches us and barely breathes out through heavy panting, "Grandpa! When did you land? Why didn't you call me? I could have picked you from the airport. What are you doing here?"

   "Saving the day, of course. Hahahaha! A little bird told me that our sweet Ebony had put you two through fire and my assistance might be highly appreciated," Ivan answers cheerfully. "I landed Thursday morning and what was my surprise when Smiley showed up at the airport at five a.m., accompanied by the lovely girl over there. I assume he should thank you and Casey about it. I'm sure, if he had to make the first step on his own, they'd be still only exchanging smoky-eyed glances."

   "I see your little bird is more like a big, sly fox," Avery grumbles, frowning at Smiley. He pulls me in a tight, back hug and buries his nose in my hair, "Are you ok, Sugar? You looked so upset. Where the hell did you learn to run so fast?"

   "I'm sorry!" I mutter. "I freaked out. Ave, they stole the algorithm. I am so, so sorry! It's all my fault. Please, don't hate me! I forgot to delete the key. It was still in my phone when..."

   "Shhh, you can't take the responsibility for someone's complete luck of principles. How could you think that I would blame you, Bunny?" Ave interrupts me. "Never, ever doubt that I'm always on your side. Fuck the app! This totally sucks, but you will always be more important to me than anything else."

   "What are we going to do now?" I whisper. "Everything is lost!"

   "Let's not be so dramatic!" Ivan laughs. "I'll tell you what happens now. You two are coming with me." Mozart barks to catch his attention and licks his hand. "Aaah, sorry buddy! You three are coming with me. The world looks so much better after a good lunch."

   He takes out a tablet from his backpack and scrolls to find something, "Our good friends from Global Power will have to get their check books ready because I'm going to dig really deep into their pockets. I'm thinking about ten million at least, if they want to avoid intellectual property theft charges with all the media circus, coming with it."

   "But how..." Ave gasps when Ivan turns the tablet for us to see the scanned document. "Oh my God! The patent! You managed to get it!"

   "That's right, my boy. I had to pull some strings on Friday to speed up the process," Ivan grins. "I hope your friends will not be forced to call me in secret next time. It's not a sign of weakness to ask your grandfather for help when you need it."

   "Thank you, Mr. Ivanoff," I mumble, blinking to chase away the tears of relief. I'm thrown from hopelessness to exhilaration in few seconds. I will be forever grateful to this kind, exceptional man.

   "Oh, no, no, no! For you, Casey, I am grandpa," he pats my shoulder. "And you are very welcome, boys. Now, enough talking! You have some baggage to pack after lunch. I bet, you two desperately need a vacation. I have done all the reservations for just the perfect place. We're flying tonight."

   He heads to the limousine, shaking his head, "Kids! Always so stubborn! Never asking for help!"

______________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 64!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Did you expect this turn of events? 😀

Last chapter coming!

Where do you think grandpa has planned for Casey and Ave to go for a vacation? 🥰

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny