65. The First Sunday of My Perfect Life (Ave)

My gaze is gliding over the azure surface of the calm Aegean Sea, only slightly rippled by the morning breeze. Enormous cruise ships are anchored in the middle of the monstrous volcanic crater, waiting for their passengers from all over the world to wake up and fall forever in love with this magical place. The huge circle of high, sheer cliffs and the small, snow-white villages, perched on the ridge, are silent in anticipation of the first rays of the rising sun.

   This heaven is not a false one. Everything here is genuine. I've been here before, but the harsh beauty of the dormant volcano and the warmth of its inhabitants amaze, captivate and leave me speechless again and again. I can't wait for Casey to see the vineyards and the olive trees, growing in the volcanic soil, the bright purple and pink flowers of the bougainvillea vines, climbing on every wall and fence, the cobalt roofs of the small churches and the pretty windmills. 

   I'll walk him along every narrow street. We'll take pictures with the cute donkeys and their owners, waving fishermen hats and offering generous smiles to every tourist. I'll squeeze his hand the entire time and will never let him go. He run away from me twice, although, I knew he didn't mean it. There won't be a third time. I'll wipe away every fear, every haunting memory, every hesitation. There will be only love from now on, only us.

   The pink mist at the horizon foreshadows the most beautiful sunrise in the world. I enter the small room and climb on the bed. My bunny has not moved from the fetal position he fell asleep in. Everything happened so fast for him. We had lunch with grandpa, packed our bags and the next moment his private jet was taking us to one of the most romantic places. We were checking in a small, cubical, white house, located on the highest point of the ridge, in the iconic village of Oia, only five hours later. Its cozy terrace and the tiny swimming pool are overlooking the caldera, providing a stunning view to the port. Casey didn't bother to even go out. He only curled under the cool sheets and dozed off, clinging to my arm. 

   I know he needs the rest, but I can't let him miss this miracle, so I gently stroke his hair. "Bunny, wake up! I want to show you something. You'll love the view. I promise."

   "I love you," he mumbles without opening his eyes. "Now, go away!"

   "Come on! I've prepared the coffee." I start shaking him by the shoulder. 

   "Are you crazy?" He finally raises his eyelids and squints at me. "I'll smack you, I swear. Let me sleep. What time is it?"

   "It's six in the morning." I retreat a little, just in case, but pull away his blanket. "You'll miss it, if you don't get up right away, Bunny."

   "What am I going to miss?" Casey frowns, but slowly sits up.

   "The best thing ever," I grin. "The sunrise over Santorini."

   We're leaning on the stone railing, sipping the steaming coffee. The sun guilds the rough slopes and the sails of the first yachts, scudding over the calm water, leaving passes of foam behind. The shades of pink, orange and amaranth finally dissolve in the purest azure of the sky.

   "Ave, you're such a romantic," Casey mumbles. "Thank you for sharing this with me."

   "I intend to share everything with you, Sugar," I pull him closer and kiss the sweetest lips, "my whole life."

   "So you were serious, then," he barely utters, "about what you said to your parents... about... marrying me?"

   "Of course, I was, Bunny," I smile. "I thought you didn't hear it at all. I didn't mean to ask you this way. It was the worst time to spill it."

   "Mmm... you... didn't actually ask me," he whispers.

   "You're right," I gaze at his scarlet face, not sure where this is going. "I didn't. I intended to do it in a more suitable setting."

   "Then this is the perfect one," he mutters. 

   "Oh, I... Yes!... Oh, my God! It is!" I feel my cheeks warming up. Of course, this is the perfect place and the perfect moment. I drop on one knee and grab his hand. "I... I rehearsed a speech... I mean... I want to tell you so much... how I feel... the way I love you is... Oh Gosh! Bunny, I forgot literally everything..." I glue my lips to his fingers and only blink, staring at his sky blue eyes in utter shock by my own stupor.

   "You are so cute," he giggles. "This is the sweetest proposal I've ever heard of! You don't need to tell me a thing, silly. I know everything. Yes!"

   "What?" I screech. My heart is making crazy somersaults and my brain is definitely overheated. Did he just agree to marry me? 

   "I said yes, although, I still haven't heard the question," Casey starts laughing in a full voice.

   "Will you marry me?" I immediately blurt.

   "Yes!" he repeats and laughs louder.

   "Oh my dearest God! Thank you!" I scream and jump up, scooping him in my arms. "Bunny, I love you so much!"

   We start kissing and giggling and it's the happiest moment in my life.

   "I'm sorry! I don't have a ring," I finally let him down. "I intended to buy them next week."

   "Well," Casey cracks a broad smile. "That's not a problem, because I do."

  "What do you mean?" My mouth falls agape.

   "Mmm, you pay me too much," he grins. "I told you a hundred times that my salary is too big. I've been saving to buy you a present. I wanted to surprise you." He digs in his pocket and takes out a small, luxurious box. "Then I thought that I... mmm... Ave, I was... planning to... this is... You did it first, but I was actually intending to propose to you too."

   Casey opens the box and takes out two elegant, white gold, engagement bands, each inlaid with three diamonds and a dedication on the inner side. I'm speechless. 

   He gives me one of them. I read the inscription, "Ave's Bunny". I put it on his finger and smile, although the tears are streaming down my cheeks. Casey kisses my wet face and shows me the other before putting it on my finger. It says "Casey's husband". 

    I burry my face in the crook of his neck, laughing and sobbing at the same time. "I'll have one more word added to both of them," I finally manage to say.

   "Oh, what will it be?" he asks.

   I squeeze my sugar closer and whisper in his ear, "Forever".

   THE END 

_________________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 65!

Thank you so much for reading! ❤❤❤

This was a wild journey. I am grateful to each one of you, my wonderful friends, for all the support.

I hope you enjoyed Ave and Casey's story and wish true love to all of you from all of my heart.

Don't forget that you are all AMAZING! 

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter.

See you in the next story.

Love: Anny