Chapter Six

Updated: November 26, 2021
Edited: June 28, 2023

"One more or shall we pack it in?" Yeonjun asked, walking with his hands stuffed into his pockets. He looked rather cool, like the popular kid he was in school.

"The latter," Beomgyu heaved. The boy was dragging himself forward, lagging behind the group. "I'm exhausted and hungry and tired and starving and sick."

"What time is it?" Kai questioned.

"Seven thirteen," Soobin answered after checking his phone.

It had gone dark a little less than two hours ago and the five of them had gone on a total of twelve different rides, and somehow, Beomgyu had been persuaded to get on ten of the twelve. He was too easily bribed, but at least he got a whole lot of free food and gifts from his friends. He only hoped that they will keep their promises and actually do as they said they would.

"Let's go home then," Yeonjun decided, pulling out his phone and scrolling through his notifications. "Yah!" He suddenly exclaimed frustratedly.

"What?"

He scratched the back of his head. "My dad's been waiting for thirty minutes now. I told him I would call him when we wanted to go home." He sighed as he turned to Soobin and Kai, "we should go quickly."

"Bye, Hyung," Beomgyu said.

The three began jogging away from them.

"Bye, Gyu-Gyu! See you tomorrow in school!" The black-haired boy called back, waving, a smile barely visible in the darkness, only slightly illuminated by the park's lights.

Beomgyu and Taehyun waved back, walking in the same direction.

"When's your brother coming?" Taehyun asked.

"Oh, shit! I almost forgot!" The older fumbled to get his phone out of his backpack and unlock it. Within a moment, he was waiting for his older brother to pick up his call.

"Is he picking up?"

"I don't know, maybe he's- oh! Hey! Hyung!"

"What is it, Gyu? You ready to come home?"

"Yep! Yeonjun-hyung, Soobin-hyung, and Kai had already left."

"Already?" His brother chuckled.

"Yeah, apparently Yeonjun-hyung's dad arrived a while ago."

"Ah, I see. I'll be on my way soon."

"See ya, Hyung!"

He then heard a feminine voice in the background right before he hung up. "Your brother?"

"Is he coming?"

Beomgyu turned back to Taehyun, pocketing his phone. "Yeah, he'll be here in fifteen minutes maybe. I think Noona will be with him too."

"Noona?"

"My brother's girlfriend. She's really nice, so we don't have to worry."

"That's a relief."

Beomgyu chuckled, "I know, right? You've seen that one mean significant other in books, right?"

"Of course, I have. It's one of the few popular choices authors make to create traumatic characters."

The two stepped out of the park and sat side-by-side on a bench by the curb. It was a beautiful night. The stars were quite bright in the background of the half-moon. They both leaned back against the bench.

"I kind of wish they did less of that."

"Why?" Taehyun looked at him. "Authors use plenty of tropes like that to write up a good character."