Chapter Seven

Updated: December 17, 2021
Edited: June 28, 2023

"Hyung," the sixteen-year-old began, "there's going to be a field trip. A whole school trip to a campground." Beomgyu was washing the dishes; it was his turn that night. His sleeves were rolled up past his elbows, and his hair was tied up into a ponytail, or at least he tried to. Strands of it still hung loosely and messily, and he occasionally had to push them out of the way. Taehyun was beside him, assisting him.

"What?" Taewon gazed up from his phone.

"A whole school trip?" Jiyoon mirrored him. "Doesn't your school have fifteen thousand or something students? How are they going to manage that?"

"They gave up an information sheet. Hold on," he had a plate in his hands, and his hands were covered in water and soap.

"Hyung, I'll go get mine." Taehyun, luckily, wasn't occupied, so he wiped his hands off with a towel after rinsing them under the faucet and went over to his backpack by the door, rubbing his hands on his pants to dry whatever he failed to dry off.

Beomgyu glanced over his shoulder at the younger, "Did you get it?"

"Mn." Taehyun fumbled through his notebooks and folders until the familiar information sheet was found. He pulled it out carefully and brought it to the table, sliding the sheet to the younger couple, who took it and examined it.

"Ah..." Taewon said after a moment, "I see how it works." He then scratched the back of his head. "This seems like a lot of work for them. A lot of money too."

"Jagiya, the school is rich, remember? They've got plenty of money."

"Right."

Jiyoon added, "they also want the students to pay seventy-thousand won for the trip."

"That's probably for the equipment."

"Mhm."

Taewon put the paper back down. "Do you already know when you are planning to go?"

"Nope," said Beomgyu.

"Can we go over the weekend?" Taehyun pushed his sleeves up higher, going back to help Beomgyu. "I don't really want to miss a school day for the trip."

Beomgyu bumped Taehyun with his hip, "you're such a good student, Taehyun-ah, but I'm okay with a weekend trip."

"If you want to go on the weekend, you should probably schedule it soon and turn in the sheet. Many people probably want to do the same, and there aren't many weekend dates."

"Ah, you're right." When the two high schoolers finished the dishes, Beomgyu stumbled over to his phone on the island counter. "When should we go? Next weekend? The weekend after?"

"Next weekend," Taehyun said, drying his hands before joining Beomgyu by the counter. He watched as Beomgyu opened the group chat with his friends and typed a message. He knew when the notification went through when his phone buzzed in his pocket.

"Oh, Hyun-ah, don't you have a date this weekend?" Beomgyu remembered, his nose still stuck in his phone, waiting for their friends' responses.

"It's not a date, Hyung," Taehyun rolled his eyes, taking back his information sheet from the young couple across the table. "It's just a movie."

"Yeah, movie date with a girl!" Beomgyu teased with a smile, hiding his bitterness between his teeth.

"You're killing me, Hyung," Taehyun crouched by his backpack, stuffing the sheet into a folder. "You already know who I like."

"Mm... not really. Who is it?" Beomgyu glanced at Taehyun, a smirk on his face, anticipating the answer.

But, unfortunately for him, Taehyun didn't fall for it, as he's been tricked the same way before by a certain blonde first-grader. "Nice try, Hyung, but no."