Chapter Eight

Updated: December 24, 2021
Edited: June 28, 2023

"Eomma, hello!" Beomgyu greeted as the door opened, seeing a woman in her forties.

"Ah! Beomgyu-ah! Eomma has missed you!" The woman had round features, and like her son, Yeonjun, she had beautiful eyes. "How's your Eomma and Appa? Are they doing well?"

"Yeah," he answered as he removed his shoes.

"They aren't overworking themselves, are they?" She frowned worriedly.

"Ah, no, they aren't, Eomma. They stopped working overtime almost five months ago now. They are at home resting right now. Eomma can call them if you want."

The woman smiled, relieved, "I will call them. I haven't talked to your Eomma for a while now."

Beomgyu chuckled, "didn't you talk with my Eomma just last night? I heard Eomma's laughter through the phone."

"Ah! That doesn't count!" She gently patted Beomgyu's back, nudging him into the house. "I will go make some lunch for you boys. My son is in his room."

"Thank you, Eomma. Soobin-hyung, Kai-ah, and Taehyun-ah are already here, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Soobinie and Kai are already here. They arrived a few minutes ago. Taehyunie isn't here just yet," she answered, headed towards the kitchen.

"Okay! Thank you!" Beomgyu turned down the hall, passing family photos hung on the walls. He saw pictures of his Yeonjun-hyung and Yeonjun's parents, and saw a framed photo where Beomgyu and his friends were huddled together, each wearing traditional hanbok. He remembered taking that photo. Everyone's family had come together one Chuseok day and took the photo together. A lot of things happened that day—to put it simply, it was busy and there was a lot of yelling involved.

Each of the teenager's families had that same photo of the five of them placed somewhere in their houses, in fact, Beomgyu had the photo on the kitchen island back at home.

He went down the hall and stopped at the door at the end. He could hear voices on the other side. They were talking about something, but Beomgyu didn't bother listening or paying attention and just went inside without another minute wasted.

"Hi," Beomgyu greeted as he closed the door behind him.

"Wah! Gyu-Gyu!" Yeonjun got up from his bed, bounding towards Beomgyu and enveloped him into a back hug. "You finally got here! What took you so long?"

"Junie-hyung, it's noon, I'm on time, aren't I?"

"You are, but Yeonjunie-hyung just missed you a lot!" Yeonjun pressed his chin gently into Beomgyu's shoulder, waddling with him as Beomgyu went to sit down on the carpeted floor.

"Hyung! We literally went to the mall yesterday!"

"So? Am I not allowed to miss my Gyu-Gyu?"

Beomgyu rolled his eyes with a chuckle, "you're just like your mother. You two can't seem to leave your best friends alone."

The black-haired boy laughed, "nope!"

"Soobin-hyung," Beomgyu turned to the red-haired boy for help, grabbing his hand and shaking it, "get this man off of me."

The other third-grader only shrugged. What was he supposed to do? It's not like Yeonjun was going to do what he said anyway.

With a groan, Beomgyu tried to peel Yeonjun off of his back only to fail miserably against the stronger teenager. "Hyung, please get off of me!"

Yeonjun didn't budge, only hugging him tighter.

"Fine, then." Beomgyu looked towards Soobin, deciding to use his ultimate weapon. "Soobin-hyung, there's something you need to know. Yeonjun-hyung-"