Chapter Twenty Seven

Updated: May 27, 2022
Edited: June 30, 2023

Silence.

No, not silence. It was nowhere near quiet.

It was loud inside Beomgyu's body. He could hear the contracting and relaxing ventricles in the muscle in his chest, pumping blood to his head. He could hear the blood rushing in his ears, turning them and his cheeks a light pink. He could hear his own breathing as it sped up with the beating of his heart. His body was so loud that he thought he was alone in his room and not in the middle of a range of mountains with his crush sitting just next to him. It drowned out the sounds of the birds that were still around and the soft sounds of the rustling plants.

No, that seemed to be wrong too.

He could still hear the sound of one plant. The blue one. The patch of blue plants just in front of him. They rustled lightly, and it seemed to be the only outside sound he could hear.

"I..." Beomgyu shifted his gaze away from the younger. His heart was too loud. "Forget it. I- I said nothing." The sound never dissipated even as he said that. In fact, it had gotten louder when the silence between them got louder.

It was agonizing, so agonizing that Beomgyu wanted to run away, to escape from the agonizing silence. But, even if Taehyun was going to respond, Beomgyu didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear the rejecting words, the angry words, or the disappointing words from the younger. He didn't want to hear any of it.

"..."

Swallowing his spit with a big gulp, Beomgyu pushed himself off of the grass, pulling out the plastic stick that had been chewed flat out of his mouth. "I- I'll go now... forget anything I said."

"Wait."

He was grabbed by the wrist just as he was about to leave, and he tensed, his feet digging into the dirt and grass, refusing to be lifted and pulled away by the force of his own will.

"Hyung, sit."

The older stood.

"Please? I want to say something."

He sat.

"..."

"If... if you're going to say something bad... don't say it..." Beomgyu turned his head away, refusing to meet the younger's eyes.

Taehyun only smiled, "but..." His voice turned soft, "...what if it is something good? Do you..." he leaned forward to meet the dropping gaze of the second-grader, "still want to hear it?"

Beomgyu kept his eyes away, feeling his heartbeat increase excitedly. "..."

"Well... I like you too."

"..."

"..."

"I... I don't believe you..." He... he was dreaming, right?

Taehyun laughed, "why not?"

"I... I don't..."

Gentle hands grasped the side of the sixteen-year-old's face. "Look at me, Hyung," he said as he tilted Beomgyu's head up.

Reluctantly, Beomgyu met his round doe eyes.

Taehyun's eyes were bright, staring directly back into Beomgyu's shy ones. There was a confidence in them, a confidence that Beomgyu found somewhat relieving. They were warm and gentle like the hands cupping his cheeks. They weren't demanding nor were they showing deceit. The darkness embraced him like a bundle of warm blankets, and Beomgyu had to resist the urge to drown in them comfortably.