Chapter Eleven

Updated: January 1, 2022
Edited: June 28, 2023

The bell rang, and Beomgyu packed up his bag, anxiety building up inside him as his two classmates were called up to Mr. Lee's desk. Everyone else began filing out while he still sat at his desk with his backpack in his lap.

Why was Beomgyu called to stay behind? Was he in trouble? If so, what was he in trouble for? Did he forget to do an assignment? Did he say something aloud on accident? Did he swear at someone? Did his phone go off in the middle of class at some point?

Wait... was he because he laughed at his friends and accidentally got himself involved in their little fight?

But, that couldn't be it. He wasn't called up with them. He-

"Mr. Choi."

On command, Beomgyu snapped out of his thoughts, ripping his gaze away from the front of the room to the left, where his English teacher was.

"Come here."

He got up, putting his backpack on and sliding his chair in.

"Cya tomorrow, Gyu!" Yeongmin said as he passed him. He mouthed, 'good luck.'

Chiyong, on the other hand, only gave him a quiet wave, walking with the other out of the room.

Breathing in a deep inhale, Beomgyu walked up to his teacher's desk. "Mr. Lee? A-am I in trouble for something?"

Mr. Lee laughed, "no, no, no, no, no. You are in no trouble." He began to pack his papers and folders, and Beomgyu watched him questionably. "It's just that I have a class I need to be covering next period, but a family emergency has come up, and I don't think the administration has seen my email yet."

The boy relaxed. "You want me to cover the class in your place?"

"That is correct," Mr. Lee confirmed. "If you are not busy, that is. I know you have a study hall next period."

"But, why me? I know there are other people in the class that also have study halls."

The teacher leaned in towards the younger, a hand covering his mouth as he whispered, "let me let you in on a secret. You're good at English, one of my few best students." Mr. Lee leaned back with a grin.

Beomgyu rubbed the back of his neck, feeling embarrassed at the comment.

"The class I'm supposed to cover is a first grade English class. And, since your English is excellent, maybe you could cover and answer any questions those first-graders might have."

He hesitated, shifting his feet. "A-am I going to be teaching anything?"

"You will."

He tensed.

"But, it won't be much. Here," Mr. Lee reached into his bag, taking out a vanilla folder filled with papers. "There are worksheets for them to work on after a quick lesson, which should take about ten or fifteen minutes. It's a simple lesson on tense. I'm sure you'll do well. There is a lesson plan and script in there too if you need it.'' He slid the folder across the desk to Beomgyu.

The student picked it up worriedly. "When will you be back?"

Mr. Lee stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder. "I should be back a few minutes before your class ends, but that may change."

"I see."

"You think you can do it?"

"I guess I can try..."

The teacher let out a breath of relief. "Thank you so much, Choi. I'll be sure to mention this in your university recommendation letter!" In that same moment, Mr. Lee hurried out of the classroom, leaving Beomgyu alone.