Chapter Twenty Five

Updated: April 29, 2022
Edited: June 30, 2023

"Gyu-ah..."

Beomgyu didn't look up from his food, deciding that it deserved his attention more than Yeonjun did, especially after the attempted murder he had experienced. "Hm?" He responded anyway.

The five of them were seated at a nearby picnic table, eating the late lunch that the older two prepared (ahem... while making out... ahem, but no one really noticed besides Kai). The table was covered with plates of grilled meat and bowls of freshly made kimchi. There was even a pot of ramen they bought—well, Soobin bought—from the store at the front of the campground entrance.

"Who do you really like?"

The second-grader rolled his eyes. "Hyungie, do we have to go over this again?"

Taehyun, who sat just beside him, suddenly nudged him in the leg with his, knowing something was up. He mouthed at Beomgyu, 'what happened?'

He didn't respond despite noticing Taehyun's confusion.

"Yah." Yeonjun tapped Beomgyu's chopsticks with his. "Answer my question. I asked you earlier and you didn't respond."

He shrugged, "I don't know! And, Hyung, the question you asked me was what I would do if Syumi liked girls."

"She what?" The other three exclaimed at the same time.

"Wait... since when did you find out?" Kai asked; the noodles that were held between his chopsticks were going cold from being out of the soup for so long.

"J-just earlier..." Beomgyu responded, tilting his head downward.

Why... did she have to be queer like he was? Now, his friends were going to either pester him with new girls, questions about his true crush, or comments about how he shouldn't be depressed about her.

This was going to be a pain. He just knew it was.

Soobin and Taehyun looked over at the mentioned second-grade girl.

Syumi was happily snacking on a chocolate chip cookie, laughing and giggling with the group of people she was with. When Chiyong spoke, the second-grader would smile brightly and giggle. She would watch the older patiently, listening attentively when she spoke. Even when the other boys were speaking, Syumi's focus was still on Chiyong as if she was the only person there.

"Did you know about this?" Soobin asked when he turned back to his group.

Beomgyu didn't give him a straight answer, only shrugging his shoulders. He was extremely confused, and his head hurt. He had known that Syumi was different. He's heard about it through the different conversations he hears in the hallways, but he only thought they were rumors and didn't think that even if they were true that his friends would find out. Even now, when they did find out, what was he supposed to do? Should he tell them that he lied about crushing on her, or should he do the opposite and act like he really did fall head-over-heels for his classmate?

"W-what?"

The long-haired boy rubbed his temples with his free hands. "Can we not talk about this right now? I really don't know anything..."

"Gyu-"

Taehyun raised a hand and stopped Yeonjun from uttering another word. "Hyung, let's... not. Look at him; he's already stressed as it is."

"Oh, sorry," Yeonjun frowned, "we can talk about it a-"

"No," Beomgyu said. "It's just a stupid crush anyway. And- and plus, I- I didn't really like her any-anyway." One of his hands reached over behind his neck, rubbing it awkwardly.