Chapter Seventeen

Updated: February 11, 2022
Edited: June 29, 2023

Groaning, Beomgyu put the stack of meat on the wooden picnic table. There was a lot of it too, so when he dropped it, there was a thump that sounded. "Ah! Cold!" He ripped his hands from the meat and rubbed the cold water off onto his pants, warming them up slightly with friction.

"Gyu-Gyu!"

"Yeah?"

"Syumi-ssi needs something from the store, could you take her with you when you go get the electrical cords?" Yeonjun walked over and picked up one of the styrofoam packaged meats, stuffing his phone into his pocket and sliding back on the red and white gloves he had taken off.

"Wait, I thought Soobin-hyung was going to get the cords." Beomgyu walked with Yeonjun to the campfire, which was brightly lit with gray puffs of smoke floating upward. A strange-looking metal contraption was placed over it—a grill.

"Soobin went to help Syumi's group start the fire because Chiyong had gone to the bathhouse to wash up." Yeonjun used a pair of scissors to open the package and set it by the small table beside the makeshift grill, next to a small stack of paper plates. He picked up the metal tongs resting nearby.

Beomgyu crouched down by the fire and put his frozen, red hands out. "Where did the boys go then? Don't they have a cart to drive?" Immediately, the heat from the fire spread to his hands.

"The boys are fixing up the tents, and Syumi doesn't know how to drive a golf cart."

The second-grader raised a brow confusedly. "It isn't that hard to-"

"She said she was scared of trying."

"Oh." Beomgyu stood up and wiped his now warm hands against each other. "When do you think you'll be done grilling?"

"Uh... maybe in an hour? You can go whenever you want." The sound of sizzling came from the grill the moment Yeonjun laid a piece of raw samgeopsal on the hot metal.

"I'll go now," Beomgyu said. "I have to make my blanket bedding later."

"Hah. Blanket bedding."

"Yah, what are you laughing for? It is a blanket bedding," Beomgyu huffed, walking over to the middle of the grounds for a lantern to take with him.

"It just sounds like you're going to prepare to hibernate or something."

"Well, yeah. I technically am preparing to hibernate. It's a bed, made of blankets, for me to sleep on."

"Yeah, yeah, just go quickly and come back." Yeonjun brushed him off.

"Stupid."

"What did you call me?"

"I'm leaving! Bye!" Without another word said, Beomgyu hopped into the golf cart parked at the edge of the campsite and started it up with the turn of the key inserted into the ignition. A moment later, he drove off in the direction of Syumi's camp side (somewhat reluctantly).

❀❀❀

"Gyu-hyung! Do you want me to-"

"Tae-ah, Gyu-Gyu went out," Yeonjun interrupted as soon as he heard the silver-haired boy speak.

He went out? Where? Wasn't Beomgyu just taking the meat out of the cooler a moment ago? Where had he gone in only a few minutes? "When did he leave?" Taehyun asked, walking over to Yeonjun.

"He left a moment ago to pick up Syumi-ssi to go to the store. I told him to rent the electrical cords, remember?"

The younger raised a brow confused, "he said he was going to bring me along if he was going to get the cords."