Chapter Twenty Three

Updated: April 15, 2022
Edited: June 30, 2023

When they arrived at the large park, Beomgyu couldn't help but marvel at the greenery ahead of them. The field ran at least three or four acres, the edges lined with uneven land from the mountains, thick forestry, and trees still spread out unevenly across the field.

Just standing at the edge of the pavement, Beomgyu closed his eyes, feeling the gentle breeze on his face. It was a nice comfortable day, not too cold nor too hot.

"Gyu-Gyu, come help!"

"Oh! Right!" Beomgyu turned back around and made his way back to the golf cart, reaching to the back to grab the backpack of drinks and snacks as well as the mat they rolled up from their campsite. Then, he followed his friends to the field, walking to the edge, by the trees, which shaded quite a large area from the sun.

"Oh! Noona!" The boy suddenly jumped up as he saw a familiar face nearby. That's when he saw Yeongmin too, "Yeongmin-ssi!" He waved enthusiastically at them, an excited smile on his face.

Chiyong glanced up from her book and gave Beomgyu a curt nod. Yeongmin, on the other hand, got up from where he was and stumbled over to catch the mat that was falling out of Beomgyu's hands.

"Ah, thanks!"

"You guys were a little late," Yeongmin commented. A smirk suddenly appeared on his face when he thought of something, and he nudged Beomgyu, "you stay up late texting someone? It wasn't that same girl that gave you candy?"

Beomgyu rolled his eyes (secretly gazed around him for a certain silver-haired boy). "For your information, I was up because we were watching movies. And, out of the five of us, I was the earliest to sleep!"

Yeongmin crouched down to help spread the mat out on the grass floor. "Right... you totally weren't texting her..."

The other second-grader pushed him, maybe a little too hard because Yeongmin fell and rolled onto the grass with a grunt. "Yah! I don't even have her number, how in the world am I supposed to text her?" If he was referring to Taehyun, then that was a complete lie, but if he was referring to his fake crush, then, that was true.

"Mhm... whatever you say, friend."

"Yah! I'm serious! The five of us were just watching a movie!" He thumped the bag he was carrying on the mat.

As if he didn't hear what Beomgyu said, Yeongmin sighed, lying on the grass with his hands folded behind his head. "I'm quite envious, you know? I wish I had a girl to text all night with," he romanced.

"You are so fucking dead, Yeongmin-ssi!" He slammed his fist in his palm.

"Gyu-ah! Come help a bit!"

Turning a blind ear to his friends, Beomgyu tackled his same-aged friend.

"Uggh- AHH!" Yeongmin suddenly shrieked; his voice pitching higher than Beomgyu expected, causing him to freeze for a moment before attacking him with tickled once again.

"Beomgyu-ah!" That was the angry voice of Chiyong. "Yeongmin-ah! Stop screaming!"

When the long-haired second-grader stopped and looked over at the third-grader, he swore he nearly lost his entire head. The look on the girl's face was intense, staring very hot and sharp daggers back at him. He even felt cold sweat forming on the hairs of his back.

At the same time, Beomgyu was caught off guard and Yeongmin ambushed him, pushing him on his back and attacking his armpits and stomach, refusing to let the other retaliate at any time.

"Stoop! STO-OP! STOP! ACKK!" He tried defending his weak spots with his arms, but Yeongmin was still able to get him. When Beomgyu tried to escape, Yeongmin grabbed him by the ankles and pulled him back with a yank, sitting on his calves as he continued tickling his friend.