Chapter three

Chapter three
The eye without a beholder

Hunter

"Unc- Emperor Belos, sir," I give him a bow. Uncle Belos wears his usual stag mask, a reminder of what I could become one day, and his sweeping cloak but there there air of lacklustery in his outfit. He's wearing a brown jacket that's revealed from an opening in the cloak. It's ...different to see him this way, like he's more witch.

I wait for his nod, barely a tilt of the head, before I speak. "I was wondering if I could go on more missions with Y/- uh- the Raven Watcher?" I still wonder why they told me their name.

There's a silence,
I mull over my words and wonder if what i asked for was unreasonable.

"What's brought this on?" Uncle Belos wonders aloud.. I tense, every nerve in my body feels like ice...
"Im not sure this would be a good match. You are aware of what happened after your last mission?"

Oh...
Oh yeah,
He's right.

Our last "proper mission" was an attempt to get the oracle eye back. It's a special amplifier that helps the oracles have more clearer visions. It was made in the savage ages when any type of witch could learn oracle magic by-

Anyways... y/n and I were after the theives who stole it. Turns out they were pretty powerful and they managed to throw me off my staff. I'm not entirely sure what happened then. We had retrieved the oracle eye. Y/n had it with them. Then when I got back on my staff, surveying the situation from the air, I realized the Raven Watcher had been knocked to the ground, dangling dangerously over the boiling sea, and the oracle eye was gone.

"I understand sir," I'm not sure why I'm so disappointed, this was a spur of the moment idea.

"I wasn't finished, Hunter. You both failed on your last mission together, yes, but it would be good for someone to have your back. After all, the Titan has big plans for you. It would be such a shame if i had to replace you." The word replace leaves a hollow feeling in my stomach. It reminds me I'm always expendable, there will always be someone to take my place.

He agreed with me. He let me.. He let me have a friend? If this isn't proof that Belos is the best uncle ever i don't know what is. I don't think y/n would consider us friends. One day though, one day.

"Thank you, Emperor Belos."

(Y/N)

"What does this mean?"
I've been pouring over a stupid book for days now. I keep screwing up, i could barely perform construction magic and now I'm struggling with the basic task of defense magic. I can read these books over and over again but it never sticks. How am I meant to learn things if none of it stays in my head.

My nights have been getting later and later. I've been studying later than even the golden guard. He's always at the library, reading those wild magic books he was supposed to confiscate. I've kept his secret though... after all, he's kept mine.

I've been so tired recently... I keep falling asleep on missions. I think- I think it's finally time to take my vacation day.

...