chapter thirty three

Tw: slightly gory fight scene?

Chapter 33
Kings Tide

Y/N

The ship is cold; Vix shivers in my arms as it sways this way and that, I let my eye close, divulging for a moment into my anxieties. This is it. Belos knows about the day of unity and he has Luz.
Luz who I was so mad at.
Luz who was just starting to become my friend.
Luz who had just sacrificed herself for all of us and me..

The sounds of my friends arguing with one another brings on yet another headache. Groaning, I slam my hand to my forehead, gaining a worried look from Willow. She seems to be the only one in control here, even the demo- even king seems at a loss, hugging onto her arms.

He's worried about Luz too, his eyebrows crease and his eyes are dull as he pours his heart out.
"I can't believe she's out there all alone, and I'm powerless to help her," he speaks with a pitiful hitch in his voice, one that instantly makes me feel sorry for him, "we can't even manage to help each other."

Willow just smiles in response, her palisman, Clover I think, nodding. They open a crate of food and the arguments begin to subside.

"Look," Amity stares at the palismen and the crate of food wearily, "we're all exhausted and terrified. Right now we've gotta focus on helping Luz."

The others nod and seem to make up over the bread, but i don't feel hungry. I bury my head in my arms, trying to rid myself of this insistent pounding sensation against my skull, and maybe my guilt as well. I just wish i could do more to help.

The ship rocks on, although now Hunter's taken the wheel the route is more direct and smooth.

There's a hum that starts to sound, perhaps it's only my delirium from the headache, but the sound seems to be getting louder.

"Y/n-" Willow turns to me with a mortified expression, eyes wide, mouth agast, I carefully remove my glove to reveal the worst. Creeping up my arm, from my coven sigil, is light. Golden light that corrupts my skin, glowing around the emperor's symbol. I quickly pull my gloves back one, not wanting to look at the revolting sight any longer. Willow places an arm around my shoulders, she's trying to be comforting and I'm greatful for it.

"Your ship has been reported stolen, land immediately" a voice resonates around us in the air, emerging from the ship opposing us.
"Oh come on," I mumble; grabbing my staff, Vix obliging to perch at the top of it.
Gus creates an illusion, turning us into mere birds but they see through it, shooting abomination goo at us.

We all take that as our opportunity to run, I'm just greatful I've gotten better at flying recently, even if my ascent is a little wobbly. Hunter takes the lead, appearing on the ship and taking out a few of the abomination guards.

But he slips.

Time seems to slow as he flails in the air; I urge Vix on, gritting my teeth, the sound of his shouts only spurring me on.

And i catch him.

His gloved hand traces my face for just a moment, a look of astonishment in his eyes, then he catches flapjack and turns back to the attack.

"Why did I make those things so powerful, stupid alador- stupid.."

We land back on the ship, only for it to be taken down by the abomination cannons. Hunter seems to envelope me, putting his arms around my waist and shielding me from the fall.

We land on the ground, a tangle of limbs, before i roll to the side and clutch my skull. My brain feels like it's burning.
"Are you okay?" Hunter asks, gently.
I don't have the energy to nod but I let him pull me up, collapsing against his arms, "Hey you're gonna be okay."
"I know, I'm always okay when you're here," I mumble.