Chapter twenty eight

Chapter 28
Hexide school of witches and demonics

Today, Caleb and I carved his palisman, a red cardinal, a bird from the human realm. He said it resembled good luck. Then he told me he didn't need anymore good luck because meeting me was the luckiest thing he's ever done.

Y/N

"We need to go somewhere," I conclude, my hand is entwined with Hunter's but I don't think he's noticed. He's grinning wildly, like a madman, running his hand through his ashy hair. I don't think I've processed this properly. What are you meant do when someone kisses you? Do I ask him to be my partner? Do I just ignore it?
These are questions for another day.

However caught up you are in feelings, emotions, happiness or sadness, life will always find a way to catch up with you. It's cold, dark and damp and if we stay out here much longer we will eventually be caught in the boiling rain. That means there's no time to think this through or talk to him about it. Not until we find somewhere to go, but I can't help thinking about it because what else are you meant to think about when the witch you like seems to like you back?

For now though, his hand in mine is enough.

"I think I know a place," Hunter mumbles, his face is red and this is the first thing he's said, he offers me a smile.
"Just as long as it's not the owl house again, those guys hate me," 
"Absolutely not. But I don't think they dislike you as much as you think Y/n, they're just weird," Hunter tilts his head in a shrug.
"Isn't everyone though? If weirdness is based on being different from normality, and there can't be a normality because no one can be absolutely average, then doesn't that mean everyone's weird?" 
Hunter offers me a very confused look, I clearly can't get my thoughts in a proper order, I just shake my head. 
"I didn't get any of that-" he pauses, then turns to me with an exaggerated look of accusation, "was this an excuse to call me weird?"
I punch his arm, with a scoff.
"Don't worry Y/n," Hunter gives me a smug look, "you're a weirdo too."

I roll my eyes, and follow him through the woods. He still seems shaky, every so often his grip on my hand tightens, he's trying not to be scared but I can tell he is. I don't know where he's leading us but wherever it is I hope we get there soon. The sky is already starting to darken and after what happened in the night market I don't want to consider what a witch would do if they saw us, especially now when Hunter's with me.

"Oh Titan, no," when we emerge from the trees I stand dead still, seeing the sight before us. The large building surrounded by the titan's ribcage and red-leaf trees. Hexide school of magic and Demonics. "Hunter there will be witches' everywhere. We will be spotted."
"Where else can we go? Let's face it we can't go back to the owl house, we can't hide out in bonesborough, we can't go to your "C.A.T.S" because there all coven heads and will be swarming with guards, there's nowhere else too go."

He's right, he's right and I hate that he's right. There is nowhere else to go. I close my eyes, finding calmness in the darkness, and take a breath. "Okay."

...

We sneak into Hexide, being a part of the emperor's coven means we know how to break into things, but we don't need any training for this. Hunter has a face mask over his mouth and nose, I've noticed he seems more confident when he wears masks, he points upwards to an open window. I nod, even though it's deserted we stay completely silent, terrified that a single sound could alert someone to where we are.