Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven
What's in a face?

Y/N

I'm not sure how I expected this to go. Belos was pleased with us after we told him about the selkidomus and decided to give us the day off today.

I think it's because I'm still recovering, and because Belos knows I have leverage against him. But I'm not going to tell anyone what he did- yet. There's no point, I disappointed the Titan. Telling people would just show them how incompetent I am.

I should probably check in on Raine though, they're high ranking in the bard coven but not a part of the emperor's coven so I trust them not to tell anyone... Besides, I trust Raine Whispers anyways. They haven't seen me since I got my arm healed- I hope they're not worried.

This morning I decide to catch up on some sleep and wake up at eight am. I know two hours doesn't sound like much but when your sleep schedule is as messed up as mine any extra sleep helps. I still have a dark hollow under my eye though.

Yesterday Hunter took my mask to the construction coven and made it more comfortable for me to wear. Now it doesn't rub against the scars around my missing eye, and it's more reinforced on that side. It's still cracked from when I dropped it on the floor but Hunter says that looks cool like it's lightning or something along those lines. I don't mind, at least I can wear it properly and with pride again.. Maybe not with pride... I still upset the Titan.

As Hunter was also given the day off we decide to go into Bonesborough. It feels nice to go here with a friend...

The only issue is our masks. There was no way we would enter as the Raven Watcher and golden guard however Hunter doesn't want to ditch the mask and... I- I've just realized I've never seen his face. That's fine, Belos would be furious if he found out and I don't want anything to happen to Hunter.

In the end we decide to use an illusion. A few years ago Adrian Gray had given the emperor's coven some concealment stones that were extra strong to create disguises for the scouts.

To retrieve them, I easily sneak past the guards, Hunter on the lookout, and into the greater storage room. It's a large rectangular cupboard with plentiful walking space. The lights are dim and glow an ominous yellow. I cough up dust and look around searching for the stones. After a while I uncover another door behind a crate of scout masks.

It's a larger cupboard. Theres not much here other than boxes of old cloaks and shelves and shelves of... palismen.

My eyes slowly take it in, towering wooden shelves stretch out all the way to the ceiling, top to bottom palismen lie. There are so many animals, thousands of eyes... They all look wrong, withered, wilted. I know Belos takes palismen off recruits but this isn't right. They look dead.

"C-charm?" my voice quivers as I call out for the cat palisman I used to own. My voice hitches in my throat, "Charm?" I know it's no use but I can't stop my hope...

I hear a noise... It's a quiet clicking of a palismen's voice. I search through the cupboard, suddenly excited. Maybe I'll see Charm again-

I got my palisman when I was twelve and still at hexide. I was a few classes above my age and most of the witches there were fifteen already and ignored me. The best students were given palistrom wood, before reserves were still low but not as low as they are now.