Billionaire To Barista

Ruth looked at amazement and questioned Josh, "What? You're going to work for Starbucks?"

Her reaction was one of shock, her jaws almost touching her chest.

Josh just nodded.

Ruth raised her hands in disbelief and exclaimed, "Are you even serious? Your father has so many Starbucks franchises in the States that even if you go to one outlet a day, it will take more than a year, and you want to work for tips here? Have you gone crazy?"

Josh crossed his arms. "Ruth, the entire point of living incognito is to lead a simple life like any other foreign student."

Ruth argued back, "Josh, for that, you need not wash dishes at Starbucks. Just stay low-key."

Josh shook his head. "You were the one who pushed me to meet more people. You've been behind my back for the past six months."

Ruth narrowed her brows and enquired, "Who are you meeting there now??? Wait, where was Shivya after the classes?"

Josh didn't react, but his silence was enough for Ruth to understand the unanswered question.

In a low voice, Ruth said, "Josh, I'm happy you're liking some company. But you are a billionaire."

Josh replied in an agitated tone, "Stop saying that first. I don't want anyone to know my real identity. Shivya may be coming back from the washroom anytime soon."

Shivya entered the room as Josh finished his sentence. An uneasy silence filled the space. Shivya's eyes met Josh's, and Ruth astutely discerned a subtle interplay between them. There was a knowing smile on Josh's lips that extended to a twinkle in his eyes, something Ruth could interpret clearly. Josh bid goodbye to both girls and made his exit. Ruth, catching on to the unspoken dynamics, followed him to the door, accompanied him outside, and quietly closed the door behind them. She hugged him, expressing, "I'm not entirely sure where this will lead, but I can read that something is happening."

Josh pushed her away, sounding defensive "We know where she is from, so stop making rom-com movies in your head."

Saying this, he walked ahead to leave.

Ruth from behind screamed, "Will see..."

Ruth walked in with slightly moist eyes. Shivya noticed this.

Shivya said in a sardonic tone, " I think crying is in your family DNA. Everyone keeps crying. I thought Indians were emotional, but you Americans are in a race with us, I guess."

Ruth chuckled, a sound that carried a mix of amusement and relief, and said "No, actually, I'm witnessing Josh smile after a long time. I was supposed to go to Harvard, but I chose Oxford for him. He was in a miserable state for the past six months. His girlfriend of two years cheated on him with his best friend. So, he stopped trusting everybody around him, other than family. He used to be a very energetic and enthusiastic person. That single night changed him 360 degrees. We all were so worried for him."

Shivya, trying to be optimistic, said, "We will change him. Don't worry."

"I wish. He doesn't open up easily, but I see that happening with you. I don't know why, but I see it happening. If he becomes normal, I will owe you a lot" Ruth's tone sounded more surprised.

Shivya understood what Ruth was trying to convey, but it made her uncomfortable.

Ruth quizzed "And did you say he cried?"

Shivya let out a sigh and said, "He remembered Kumar's family and was broken by the memory a bit."

Ruth raised her brows "Out of the blue??"