Playing with the fire

Amidst the tense atmosphere, Shivi's phone rang, and she hesitated as she realized her father was calling. Josh, sensing her apprehension, took the initiative to grab the phone, answering the call and putting it on speaker, ready to face whatever came their way. The prospect of her being a bride within the next few weeks loomed over her, casting a shadow on her uncertain future.

Mr. Krishnan's cold voice spoke in Tamil, "Shivya, Dinesh's parents just called me. It seems he liked you, but unfortunately, he lost his job, and it seems he can't go ahead with this marriage right now. So, thought you should know."

She looked at Josh with her mouth open in shock, almost forgetting to blink. She couldn't comprehend what was happening. Josh had beaten Dinesh so hard that Dinesh now lied to everyone, claiming he lost his job. Her shock turned into a small laugh, and she leapt to hug Josh.

A smile spread across her face, and she couldn't thank him enough. He had solved every problem – the unwelcome groom was gone. She didn't have to convince her father that he was nothing more than an intelligent but spoiled brat. The impending marriage was no longer on the cards for the next few months. Above all, she didn't have to be scared to death thinking about how she would manage everything alone. Josh was here, right by her side. She felt a sense of indebtedness to him.

She continued embracing Josh, and he was elated to see her smile. That was all he wanted. For the past while, his blood had been boiling, but seeing her smile instantly cooled the volcanic rage within him. Her problems might not be permanently solved, but for now, and he vowed to work towards a permanent solution.

Mr. Krishnan: Hello!!! Can you hear me??

She suddenly realized that she had almost forgotten her father in her happiness. Releasing Josh from her embrace, she addressed her dad, gathering her words, "Yes, Appa... I can hear you. I'm just in shock. I was also very hopeful after the meeting." Saying this, she winked at Josh. "Didn't expect it to go this way. Was really looking forward, you know."

Josh chuckled, and Shivi smiled incandescently, locking her eyes with him.

Mr. Krishnan said in a hoarse voice "Ok, no issues. The next alliance will turn out positive."

Shivi just rolled her eyes, but now she knew Dinesh was not the last guy who would be bruised. Irrespective of the probable grooms being shitty or not, Josh is going to damage many NRI Indian grooms' faces. Thinking this, she just tittered. She disconnected the call and hugged him again.

Shivi skipped as she hugged him elated "Josh, thank you, thank you, thank you. Never thought it would be solved so easily. If not for you, that guy would be pushing me right now to slee..."

Her voice choked as she was speaking, and tears welled up in her eyes. She looked up at Josh with gratitude, relief, and admiration.

Josh rubbed her back and said "Shhh... Shhh... Nothing will happen until I am there. But just from now on, one thing, if anything is hurting you, just don't think twice before sharing it with me. We will figure out something or other."

She hugged him tightly, tears streaming down her face. Josh was still holding her phone. He went to YouTube and played the song "Unakenna Venum Sollu."

Hearing the song play, she released herself from the hug and looked at Josh's face.

They both got up from the bed, and Josh gently swayed her in accordance with the tune. She placed both her hands behind his neck, and he held her by her back. He looked into her eyes, conveying assurance, comfort, and gentleness. For the first time in her life, she felt someone was there for her, even when her own family was not. He was filling the potholes in her heart that her own family had created, doing things he really didn't have to.