I Am Proud Of You

She was put into a great dilemma when he asked her to donate her hair. Yet, a contradictory thought struck her, "A person like me thinks proudly about having long and beautiful hair, indirectly becoming part of a society that not only appreciates long hair but looks down on people on the other side of the line. I should be ashamed of myself for being part of that society that judges people of other kinds."

Josh understood this might not be an easy decision for her. "No compulsion. Just a thought. You told me once that you have never tried other hairstyles as you never had a better reason. I just thought I would really present you with a noble one."

Shivi sighed, "I want to. I might never understand their pain, but I can definitely give them a piece of myself to stay with them during their difficult times."

Josh's eyes widened in surprise, "Are you sure?"

Shivi nodded, "Yes. Maybe not for the kids but for making myself a better person."

Josh just stared at her for a minute.

Shivi bit her nail, looking at his reaction, "Sounds selfish, does it?"

Josh smiled, stroking his stubble, "No, this is the most honest you have ever been to me. It would have sounded fake if you had agreed without any second thoughts. You are a gem, and you should know that, and I am really proud of you."

Shivi paused for a second, looking into those ocean-green eyes, "No one has ever said that to me."

Josh raised his brows and asked, "That you are a gem?"

Shivi stammered, "No, about being proud of me."

Her eyes flooded with tears. She moved forward and took him in an embrace. He held her tightly as if her parachute were cut, and he was the one saving her.

She moved away from him, locked her eyes with his.

Shivi breathed hard, "You know, what I am going to do is so wrong in my rule book, but I don't feel it's wrong right now with you."

Josh narrowed his brow, wondering what she was trying to say when she leapt forward, stood on her toes, and kissed him on his cheek. The kiss lasted for a longer moment. A current-like sensation ran through his body, and he felt like never before. He had been with girls before; it wasn't his first kiss, but this was different. It was from a girl whom he had been trying to impress for a long time, and she herself had given a kiss even without him trying to do anything. It was a natural and genuine response to the little affection he bestowed on her. There was nothing sexual about the kiss, but he would prefer to have this one kiss from her rather than a thousand sexual encounters with anyone else.

She gently parted from him. There was a shine in her eyes. It was beyond his understanding. She was not blushing, as if it happened unanticipated; she knew what she was doing. He was still in shock from what had just happened. Her arms were still around his neck, and their faces were inches apart. When he looked at her in the eyes, she lowered her gaze because of shyness.

Shivi bit her lips, saying, "I am sorry I kissed you without asking you."

Josh blinked his eyes and again said, "I am proud of you."

Shivi was trying to understand why he was saying that again.

Josh smiled, pursing his lips, "Just wondered if I say that I might get lucky again."

She gently punched him on his left chest and giggled. She moved back.

Josh gave a small scream, "Ouch..."

Shivi was taken aback by his reaction, her brow furrowing in concern, wondering if she had hurt him. "Did I hurt you?"

Josh winced, a pained expression on his face, and he touched the area she had gestured to protectively, "No, don't punch there. Someone resides in my heart; you might hurt her."