11 SLAPS

(For people who are new to reading, the text in italics is the character's mind voice. And do you know you can select a particular text and leave a comment about that. You can mention if you like it. Try it)

Josh went to his dorm room and lay down. The weight of disappointment pressed heavily on him, evident in the defeated slump of his shoulders and the sadness etched on his face. It had just happened as he anticipated. He had spent the most amazing day with her, and, again, she left him. His eyes welled up with tears, expressing the emotional turmoil within.

Reflecting simmering in anger, Josh muttered to himself, "How could she say that to me? What did I do wrong? If I had been in such a situation, wouldn't she have done the same?"

As his phone rumbled and Ruth's name flashed on the screen. Ruth's concerned voice rang through the phone, "Josh, Shivi-" However, before she could continue, Josh sharply cut her off, his tone laced with bitterness and frustration, "Never ever talk about her to me. I have nothing towards her anymore." The forcefulness in his words left no room for further discussion, closing the door on any mention of Shivi in their conversation.

Ruth attempted to reach out, calling twice, but he remained resolute, putting the phone in silent mode to shield himself from further intrusion. The storm of emotions inside him made it challenging to focus on anything else. His attempts to divert his mind felt futile, and the turmoil within him was comparable to a tornado. Realizing he needed someone to confide in, Josh decided to call his mom.

"Good afternoon, Michel. How was your birthday yesterday? You told me you were going out with someone special, so I didn't disturb you. So, tell me, how did it go?", Yaya enquired.

Josh haltingly spoke, "Mom, can you answer me honestly on something?"

Josh's mom, sensing the shift in his mood, observed the change in his tone. The initial enthusiasm she had displayed transformed into genuine concern. "Honey, tell me what is bothering you. You never call me mom in normal situations."

Josh spoke haltingly as he questioned Yaya, "Mom how would Saritha Aunty react if someone sees her naked?" The tension in his voice conveyed the seriousness of the matter.

Yaya unable to understand the context questioned further, "why are asking this?"

Josh pleaded "Please tell me mom."

Yaya sighed and stated "I don't know what her exact reaction would be, ut it would be extreme. "

Josh quizzed her more, "And what if that was Kumar uncle who saw her?"

The questions hung in the air, laden with unspoken concerns.

Yaya paused for a second and asked, "What happened, Josh? Why are you asking all these absurd questions?"

Josh remained silent not knowing what to tell her.

Yaya breathed audibly and said, "Josh, I don't know what is in your mind, but I can tell you Saritha aunty will not even wear knee-length skirts. She used to mingle with all of us, her thoughts were modern, but there were some things on which she would never compromise. In fact, she wouldn't even change Mithra's dress in front of you though you were also a kid back then. These are something so deeply rooted in their culture and our perspective, and their perspective is not the same. Things which might be very common to us might not be the same to them. "