The Broken Button And The One Night Stand

A few days later, Shivya was working on her assignment when Josh called her. She glanced at her phone and saw his name on the screen, answering with a smile.

Josh: Shivya, can you tell me how to make that super-strong, amazing aromatic coffee?

Shivya giggled, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "I would tell you if you promised to make a cup for me by the time I reach there. I wanted to take a printout of the assignment, so I thought of coming to your room."

Josh considered for a moment before suggesting. "How about I get the printout done for you, and you make the coffee for me? I don't want to mess up the proportions."

Shivya leaned back in her chair, tapping a pen against the table, contemplating the offer. A mischievous grin played on her lips as she agreed, "Deal."

Within minutes, she was there in his room, making coffee, and he had got her printout done. He walked near her and leaned on the kitchen counter when she dropped the lid of the coffee bottle. As she bent down to take it, the top button of her cardigan popped, and she didn't notice it. Josh, standing next to her, immediately moved away, and settled on the study table chair, looking in the opposite direction.

She approached him with a cup of coffee, but he turned the other way, avoiding eye contact. Shivya extended the coffee mug towards him when he said, "Leave it on the table."

Shivya's lips curled sideways, wondering why he was behaving strangely. She thought maybe she was overreacting. Then, he handed the printed papers to her again without looking at her. Her doubts were confirmed. Something was off. In a sarcastic tone, she said, "Thanks." She spelled out, "T-H-A-N-K-S," and continued, "is said when someone does something for us, like making coffee." He muttered "thanks" again without looking at her.

Puzzled by his weird behavior, Shivya questioned, "What is wrong?"

Josh responded, "Nothing."

Shivya, now irritated with his attitude, drank the last few sips of coffee and said, "I am leaving." As she stood up, he held her hand from behind, as she faced away from him.

Josh asserted in a firm and clear voice, "Don't...you can't."

As he spoke those words, the doorbell buzzed. Josh went to answer it, leaving Shivya wondering what was wrong with him. He had never behaved this strangely with anyone, especially her. Avoiding eye contact and expressing discomfort, Josh's behavior left Shivya perplexed, and her mind buzzed with unanswered questions.

When he opened the door, Matt and Harvey were there. He told them something, closed the door, and marched to his wardrobe. Taking a T-shirt, he handed it to her urgently, saying, "Wear it...Now." The emphasis on "now" without looking at her again pushed the already curious Shivya to finally say, "Not until you tell me what is wrong."

He tried to guide her into the bathroom when she snapped, "Just tell me, damn it!" Josh knew he had no option other than telling her now and said, "Your damn button gave away when you bent down, and everything you generally cover is very clearly visible. I can turn away, but Matt and Harvey would enjoy the view of your Indian curves."

Shivya, embarrassed, wanted to cover her face, but there was some other place that needed to be covered. She noticed two of her buttons had popped out, and almost her entire bra was visible. She grabbed the T-shirt from his hand and rushed to the bathroom.

Josh allowed Matt and Harvey to enter the room. When they saw her emerging from the bathroom wearing Josh's T-shirt, they began teasing her, asking, 'What happened to your blouse? Did Josh accidentally tear it? Nevertheless, this T-shirt suits you better.' Shivya felt visibly embarrassed, and Josh said something to them in Italian, which immediately silenced them and made them lower their gaze.