43

"After we saw the riot below, We went upstairs and saw some bridges connected to other buildings." Jarvis stated as he jogged beside her through the crumbled structures and cracked road. "That's how we managed to escape."

"We went downstairs after that, and we were attacked by another group of cranks." Roselle joined in. "And that was the reason why we're the only ones left."

"The others were either eaten or killed." She said it like as if it was an obvious fact. "Some went on their way. But most of them gave in and were consumed by the flare on our way."

The three of them went quiet as they made a few turns around Denver.

There were other cranks as they went through. Although they haven't come across a huge wave yet, they could hear their screams hovering around the atmosphere in no specific direction.

Skylar felt her chest getting compressing. Her heart betting in a fast pace.

She tried to keep her head down and constantly shake it. That way she could distract herself whenever her horrific thoughts came flashing by.

The emotions inside her were locked in a bottle. And she was compressing it so that it won't break loose and consume her inside.

After making a final turn, she saw them at the end of the road. They were only six of them just like what Jarvis had said.

Newt rested his back against the battered buildings wall. As the others had different shenanigans. Especially Aaron, who was chewing of some sort of army boot.

They approached the group and sat down the concrete. She took a quick glance at Newt. He doesn't seem to look back nor notice her looking.

"So what now?" Aaron threw off the boot he was chewing. "Where are we suppose to go?" Then he chuckled.

"We'd made it this far." Jarvis bit his lip. He focused his eyes on a piece of candy wrapper below him. "I don't know."

"What do you mean by 'you don't'?" Newt dived in the conversation.He was obviously avoiding an eye contact with her. "Slinthead, so you're saying we're just gonna rot in 'er like those monsters?"

He made a sarcastic grin. "It's alright with me. I'm done fightin' this klunk anyway. Those Munies must be so blessed, they won't experience this bloody hell like 'we' did." He raised his voice upon saying the word 'we'.

They went silent for moment or to. Nobody dared to speak up nor start an argument with Newt.

She saw Roselle staring at her from the corner of her eye. And she perfectly understand what she was saying. She nodded as a response. Roselle, I finally told Newt about everything.

"There's a long straight highway a few turns from 'er." Jarvis finally broke the silence. He was trying to get back to his old leader-like self. But his voice was getting tensed. "It'll lead us to one of the gates of the city. That way we can get out."

Newt made another sarcastic laugh. "Well that answers everyone's bloody concern." He stood up and started walking along. Still not looking at her.

That was their sign to go on. The others stood up as well and started following him as they turn around and headed for the exit.

Roselle offered her arm to her. Which she hesitated. She felt her legs burning.

"So he knows about you?" She pulled her up and they both started following their little pack.

Skylar nodded. "Judging from his expression and words, you can already tell his reaction." She made a weak smile.

Roselle was about to say something, when they heard someone screaming.

The two girls ran to catch up to them. They were all frozen as they made a turn to another corner.

Finally they managed to get to them and see what they're looking at.

A police officer. Around his thirties. Wearing his uniform. Veins on his neck. Blood on his mouth. Gun on his hands as he pointed at them. Fingers on his trigger. His sanity nowhere to be found.

"You're monsters!" He screamed. "All of you are!" This time he was crying.

"After you killed my brother, this is what you're doing? Running away? All of you should die!" He fired up ahead. Making her flinch.

His hand trembled as he aimed the gun back to them.

Roselle seemed to be unstable beside her. Just like everyone else, she was done with all of this. Done with all the obstacles and the blood. And that forced Roselle to make her way infront of them.

She raised both of her hands. As she started walking towards the police. "Look officer." She calmly stated. "I'm sorry about what happened to your brother. But I'm telling you it's not because of us."

The guy's face was hardened. "My brother was Immune. He only wanted to help me and our family. But you bastards killed him!" He was the edge of firing. Which made Skylar screamed a little. Roselle what are you doing?

"I was like your brother." Roselle gave him a warm smile. "As far as what they are concerned, I'm a crank."

Aaron was beside Skylar. His eyes were widened as he listened to his sister's confession.

She glanced back at Aaron then turned back to the gunman. "But in reality. I'm Immune to the flare and I only wanted to help my only brother."

Aaron gasped. His eyes were wide as ever. His mouth was quivering. As if he was trying to get out some jumbled words.

Roselle extended her left arm and reached for the guy. "You can join us. You'll have a better chance if you do?"

The officer's expression was lightened. His eyes went soft and his hands relaxed.

No one moved as they watched them. While Aaron was on the edge of running.

Suddenly, the guy's expression went cold as he screamed. "There is no chance!"

"Roselle!" It was too late for Skylar to move as he flied two bullets towards Roselle's chest. And sent her down in the grown.

Aaron's fists tightened. As he clenched his teeth. She could hear him growling.

That's when he went straight forward the guy.

He fired three more shots for him. But he still went on and finally tackled down the man. Without caring that blood was dripping inside his shirt. And the three solid bullets in his system.

He literally pulled out the gun from the man's hand and placed it inside his mouth. As he reloaded and fired repeatedly. While his other hand was clawing out the man's eyes.

The horrifying scene had ended when he fired his last bullet.

That's when he crumbled down the ground as blood was flowing from him.

He crawled down and reached for his sister. Holding on to her hand before the darkness swallowed him inside.

The whole city went quiet. There was nothing more louder than their hearts beating hard. And Skylar's bottle of emotion being filled up once again.

------------

©macaronilove