Chapter 16 - Wish

Lily Woodwords

"I still remember the day I was weeping at the front door of our house. We were living in Boston as you know I was born there. We were a very happy and contented family. We were rich. Neither middle class neither millionaire, just happily rich. I was the only son because my mom couldn't bear another child. She was having a problem with her uterus. We were happy, we really were.

We never knew my mom always wanted for me to have more money. She wanted for me not to take over my father's business and do something else which brings me more money. She kept filling my head with plans or ideas about me being businessman and earring a lot of money for her. She started asking my dad to slowly change his business but he didn't. He was a carpenter and was really talented. He wanted for me to do the same but my mom denied.

The arguments and fights were getting very bad day by day. Mom tried to convince my dad but he strongly denied. How could he? He loved his work so much. He was a famous carpenter back then in Boston.

One day when I returned from school, mom was missing. I looked for her in the hole house but didn't find her. I went to her room to see a paper which had her handwriting on it tucked under a paper weight.She left me a note which read that she left us because she didn't want that I have a middle class life.

Flower, I loved her very dearly. I fought with my father daily saying he was the reason she left. I terribly missed her and wasn't ready to accept the fact she left us.I was an awful son to my dad. I just didn't realised that, at that time sadly. He started drinking and smoking but I didn't knew. He never said anything to me. He secretly bought some shares in 'Fashion and The City' on my name. I became the lawful owner of the share when I turned 18. Ian was the one back then, who took care of my father. He died when I was 17 due to cancer. Ian and I had a long and deep conversation the night I did the last rituals of my father. Ian said how much he cried and regretted ever choosing this profession. I very well knew that he loved doing it still, I always cursed him. I was so heartless to do those things.He wrote his property to a Orphanage because I denied having any money from him. I joined Pericoloso when I was about to turn 18. Luck or coincidence Evan was too a share holder of 'Fashion and the City.' Liam and Ian later bought some shares from different share holders and gradually we four became the only share holders of 'Fashion and The City'. So now we are the CEOs. Ian and I joined Pericoloso almost 10 years back. We four became each other's backbone. We were always there when life put any of us down. That's how I found my real family here."

I took a deep breath letting the reality sink in.

I strongly hugged Carter. A tear escaped from my eyes and before I know it, I am crying very badly. I feel bad for him. He didn't have to go through it.

He wiped my tears and hugged me tightly. He hid his face in my neck. I felt moisture on my shoulder. I hugged him even tightly if that's possible.

After a minute or two we both sobered up. I was still sitting in his lap with him keeping me close.

"Why did Ian join Pericoloso?" I asked out of curiosity.

"That's the story for other time."

I nodded my head and cupped his face. I gave him a smile and he returned me a sad one.

"I love you Lily. I love you so much. Promise me you won't leave me." Carter said with watery eyes.

I didn't answered but sealed the promise with a tender kiss on his lips.

He cupped my face and responded. I felt him smile against my lips and I felt immense happiness that he shared his past with me.

There are so many layers of a person. Who would have thought that the most feared gangster, one of the most important man of Pericoloso and a successful business personality, the big bad Carter Woodwords would have this side to him. I am feeling very happy as well as sad right now.

Happy because he shared such great part of his life with me. It would have been difficult. I have never seen him cry like this. Never even have I seen him sad. He must have craved for his mother's love really bad.

I am felling sad because no one should go through what Carter did. I know what it is like to loose a mother and my father too disowned me. I can very well feel his pain. That's why I think we are perfect for each other. Being with someone happily even after knowing their flaws is love.

I just hope that she will stay here with him with peace. I just want him to have that love back he longed for. What could possibly make me more happy than to see Carter truly happy.

His happiness is my solo wish.