Chapter 17 - Lucky

Carter Woodwords

It felt like yesterday when I let Lily know everything what went down with me. It feels so nice. I let it out like a bandage ripped off my skin in one go but everything has been fine since then. Lily didn't treat me any different which I'm thankful for. I don't want her to pity me.

She makes me delicious breakfast, does my work happily, waits for me to arrive at home, serves food etc. Anything, she's become more loving.

Rachel has been gelling really nice with Lily. Mom is also chatting with us really nice but sometimes is a little off with Lily. I still don't know why mom has bought Rachel here with her but I don't wanna ask her yet. We do talk but I still am not normal with her. I see her at the breakfast table every morning and sometimes if I'm early we have dinner together.

"We are here sir." I heard my chauffeur say. I nodded and stepped out of the car.

I entered the house and heard music playing in the kitchen.

I kept my briefcase on the nearby couch and walked towards the kitchen.

I saw Lily doing something. I walked further and saw her doing some frosting on cupcakes.

I silently walked up to her and heard her humming along with the song. I wrapped my hands around her and pulled her to my chest.

She tensed for a second by instantly relaxed against my chest.

"You scared me for a second, love." I heard her say. She kept her hands around mine which were already resting on her waist.

"I didn't meant to."

"I know." She said and I kissed her temple.

She continued doing her frosting while I just kept her close to me.

I kept my head in her neck, inhaling her sweet smell.

"I love your smell." I said and she chuckled.

She kept her left hand in my hair and massaged my scalp lightly.

I let out a small moan. Her hands are doing magic.

"Well, what are you doing?" I said resting my chin on her shoulder.

"I'm making cupcakes for everyone." She said giggling. God her laughs. She doesn't even know how precious she is to me.

"Why? Is there something I'm forgetting?" I said and she turned around in my arms.

"Nothing special. I woke up a little late this afternoon and the dinner was almost prepared. Dessert were left so that's what I made."

"Okay. May I taste some?"

"Sure." She gave me a bite of a cupcake. It was decorated with blue, pink and purple frosting.

"So how's it?" She asked with her eyes glittering with happiness

"Sweet. Just like you." I said and kissed her cheek.

I took the cupcake form her and fed it to her.

"It's really nice." She said and kissed my cheek before arranging the other frosted cupcakes in the serving plate.

"Love, change into something comfortable I'll lay out the food and call others too." She said and I kissed her lips once before heading upstairs.

I walked into the room and took a quick shower. I wore black sweatpants and a grey wife beater.

I walked down to see almost everyone seated on the dinner table.

I took my place next to Lily and the maids started serving us food. Lily quickly excused herself and went to the kitchen to fetch her cupcakes.

My mom then walked in and we all greeted her. She smiled and returned our wish. When Lily walked in the dinning room, she gave the plate of cupcakes to the maid and greeted my mom.

She replied her with only a 'hump'. It was a very distant reply but nevertheless Lily gave her a smile. I admit she is behaving a little cold towards Lily these days but Lily being Lily, ignores.

She took her place beside me and we all started eating.

"You know Carter, I was going through my old journal which I used to write just after you were born." She had or maybe has the habit of writing a journal. I don't know if she still does that but I still nodded.

"I was just thinking how excited I was to choose a bride for you. Unfortunately you landed in a marriage contract that you didn't even wanted." She said and ended with a sigh.

Evan looked at me and asked me to answer calmly. That man knows all my phases I swear.

"Mom, there's nothing unfortunate in it. She's the love of my life and I'm very lucky to have her." I said keeping a hand on Lily's shoulder.

My voice was a little rude but how dare she insult my wife. Mother or not, I don't tolerate that.

"Still. It's a very good chance in Lily's part to have you as her husband. She wouldn't have dreamed of having such rich husband, would she?!" She said and I slammed my hand on the table.

This time no one sitting on the table asked me to calm down. It is wrong of my mom to indirectly call Lily a gold digger. They quietly watched what's going on. Drama or not, I'm angry.

"Watch your words mom. Don't force me to do things I wouldn't be proud of." I left the dinner table and straight walked to our room. Fuck the dinner.

About a minute later, Lily slowly entered the room. She came and sat beside me on the couch.

She kept a hand on mine and I turned towards her.

"I'm so sorry. I promised you to always guard your dignity. I failed. She shouldn't have talked to you in that way. I'm very sorry, Flower."

She cupped my face and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Never say that. It's okay. I'm fine."

She hugged me and I returned her hug gladly. She kept a hand in my hair slowly massaging my scalp.

"I love you." She said looking straight into my eyes.

"I love you too, Flower." I kissed her nose.

"And I love you both." A voice said from the door. We turned towards the door to see Emma standing there with a tray of food in her hands.

"Sorry I didn't knock." She apologised still standing there.

"It's okay. Come on in." Lily said walking up to her.

"You haven't had your dinner so I bought some for you." She placed the tray on the coffee table.

"Thank you but you didn't need to." I said and gave her a side hug.

"I don't like when someone sleeps with an empty tummy, bro." She said and I gave her a smile.

"I'll leave now. Please do finish that." She said pointing towards the food. She then gave Lily a hug.

I kissed her forehead and said : "Good Night." She returned my wish and exited the room. She such a sweet girl. I believe she's my own sister. I do love her dearly.

"Liam's lucky to have her." Lily said as she wrapped her hands around my waist. I kept my hands around her and kept my head on hers.

"Actually they both are very lucky to have each other."

"True." Lily said and pulled me to sit at the couch and have some food.

In reality, I'm very lucky to have Lily in my life.