s i x

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

s i x

The dining room was mesmerising – just like the rest of the palace. It was gallant in size and was simplistic. In the middle stood a long table, every edge polished and gleaming. It could easily fit about fifty wolves, yet only the King sat at the very end, alone in solitude, with no company. He had platters of food already prepared before him, plates filled with poached egg, fruit, fresh rolls and other delights. 

His eyes flicker up when the two wolves enter, the silver watching them intently. His elbows are on the table, hands clasped together. His features are stark, and brooding. His brows furrow when they land on Adah, and his features become stern when they land on Uriah behind her.

Adah doesn't know what to do once she enters the room. She perches a distance away from the King, stuck in place. The bond whines between them. His hair is messier than it was yesterday, and he isn't wearing the black wide-framed glasses he adorned last night. It makes him look moodier, and more wary. He adorns a plain black tee, beautifully complimenting his dark skin. His arms are littered with tattoos.

His jaw and form is tense, yet she can feel the wolf within him calling for her, demanding her to be his, to let him pounce and have his way with her. She isn't surprised – the bond was a powerful thing, that amplified every single emotion that touched the soul. The King was a high-ranked male, hence already highly territorial, but the male was more wolf than man, which made everything worse.

She couldn't imagine the restraint he conducted in this moment, because the bond stripped away any of hers. She swallows, having to avert her eyes to the floor, her skin warming with her thoughts. Her wolf is belly up – she'd always be willing for this male.

The King doesn't move a muscle, the silver flames in his eyes only dancing a little higher as they waver over her.

He didn't need the mate bond to acknowledge that Adah was beautiful. He remembered the gazes thrust upon her when she finally stepped out of the shadows during the night of the ball.

She was a tall female, with a long slender neck and a petite frame. She didn't have much of a bust, but the curve of her hips leading to her backside were all he could stare at. Her skin was warm, not as deep of a brown as his, perhaps a few shades lighter, but definitely sun kissed. Her face was oval, with a button nose and full dark lips. Faint freckles touched her skin, from the bridge of her nose to the curve of her cheekbones. Her hair was thick, coiled perfectly into tight curls. Her eyes were a dark shade of brown, always sharply watching.

"I thought it would be appropriate if Adah came to eat with you. You've got a busy schedule today, and I know you wouldn't have much time for her," Uriah tells the King, walking forward and placing his hand on the back of Adah, leading her to the seat directly to the left of the King.

The King's eyes don't move from her as she takes her seat. The King nods at Uriah, and dismisses him with the wave of two fingers. Uriah grins, before taking his leave. The King and Adah are left alone.

Having realised the Queen is now dining with the King, the kitchen maids quickly set up her plates and her cutlery. She's startled for a moment, surprised at how efficient the palace runs.

The King doesn't utter a word to her, his heated gaze dropping from her and beginning to eat. She stands up, piling her plate with fresh fruit, an egg and a bread roll, before sitting back down to eat.

Silence berates them both.

The atmosphere is strange – that's the best way to describe it. Adah finds everything in the moment to be weird, and an out of body experience. Just yesterday she was in a normal wolf pack, and then over the course of the last twelve hours, she's suddenly finding herself having breakfast with the King. She exhales with the thought, trying to calm her head before she overwhelms herself.

She had to keep calm, there was no other way but forward. The past twelve hours just had to be put behind her.

They don't talk as they eat, and the King's eyes stay downwards. He's on edge though, his jaw tense and one hand clenching the edge of his seat tightly. His demeanour is distant and cold. His eyes flicker up, when Adah pours them both a glass of orange juice, setting the jug down.

"Would it be okay if I ask you a question?" Adah murmurs, her tone low. Her dark eyes fixate on him, narrowed sharply. She's met with his silver hues, tinged with curiousness and surprise. He nods wordlessly.

"I don't want to question your choice in me as a mate. You chose me, and it is what it is," she begins, her voice quiet. The King doesn't make a physical response.

"But what if you've made the wrong choice?" her expression is soft as she awaits his answer, but her eyes are narrowed with intent.

"I don't make wrong choices," his voice is deep, velvety and low. The silver in his eyes darken, the wolf within him trying to scout out this female.

"You don't know me well enough to certify that," her tone is low, eyes still watching him. He sits back in his chair, features undecipherable.

"I wasn't exactly given the opportunity to know every inch of you. A choice had to be made within the night. That is what the Elder Council demanded," he speaks the words with no emotion, again distant. No warmth radiated from the male, and Adah could feel his wolf intruding, coming closer and closer.

Silence sweeps the room, lingering for a few minutes. The King inhales deeply, eyes darkening with deep thought.

"I advise you to keep your expectations low for whatever relationship we have. I know nothing of what it is to be a mate – I never expected to have one. I was under the assumption that somehow I would be able to rule alone," the King murmurs.

"My own true mate couldn't yield to my expectations. If the male made for me couldn't, it wouldn't be fair to place any on you." Adah mutters lowly, eyes cast down and fingers playing with a napkin.

"You handled the situation with him well at the ball," Adah's cheek tinge with pink, after hearing those words. The King saw her do that? The King doesn't look at her, his gaze stuck to outside of the window. His lips curl with the memory of Adah pulling the middle finger to the Alpha with blonde hair.

He shakes his head, clearing his throat once again.

"My gamma, Jayden, will meet you after breakfast. He will tell you the schedule for the rest of the day," and with that the King stands up, smoothing out the black tee he wore, and left.

Adah exhales deeply, rubbing her temples. She swears to herself softly.

Everything wasn't fitting right. It was just a mess, and she didn't know where she stood at all with the King.

A/N - i feel a bit better about this chapter after rewriting it now.

what are your thoughts on adah and micajah and their relationship? how are you perceiving everything? i want to know how what i've written comes across as. if that makes sense.