f o r t y - t h r e e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

f o r t y - t h r e e 

Adah wakes up to an empty bed. Her eyes narrow to the alarm clock sitting besides her, to find it wasn't even six in the morning yet. Micajah had most likely gotten up to work out, and mill over things with Jayden. A deep ache sits in her stomach, pulling at her, tugging at her, demanding her attention. She was starving, crazy hungry. 

After not having eaten during the night, her stomach was empty and was achingly hollow. She couldn't think about anything else, even when she tried to attempt to go back to sleep. Her stomach was crying in tears of pain.

Without even attempting to get dressed, she just pads out in her sleep wear, down the empty halls and straight into the empty kitchen. After pulling out some ingredients and pans, she makes herself some french toast, drowsed with maple syrup and topped with caramelised slices of banana. 

The early morning breakfast was heavenly, and Adah reprimands herself for not eating last night. Her hunger eventually satiates as she finishes off her plate alone, in the empty kitchen that had finally begun to become brighter as the sun came up,

She pads back to her room, her hunger having ceased and overall feeling a lot more content. She would've just stayed awake, as it was slowly coming up to seven in the morning, but her eyes become heavy and she just steals another few hours of sleep.

When she's awoken again, it's by Micajah, telling her it was time for breakfast and that she should get up now. It had hit nine thirty now, and Adah sits up in her bed, eyes watching her mate strip to go take a shower. His nakedness didn't make her blush insanely anymore. She had gotten used to it after the many nights they shared together. 

 Weirdly, the idea of eating again didn't put her off, she didn't mind having a second breakfast. Her stomach growled appreciatively, in agreement. She rolls her eyes at herself. Her appetite had come back, meaning she was fine and that whatever had happened last night was just a strange, one time occurrence.

How wrong she was.

Breakfast was lively, and she ate another full plate. Micajah was much too busy with Jayden, sorting out the trial that they were going to conduct later that day, and Uriah had left with Lena sorting out travel plans and routes for all the wolves across the country that wanted to attend said trial.

She was alone in the empty dining room, her arms folded and her head resting on the cool table. She felt full, and her head was beginning to ache again, skin feeling warm. She kept it quiet though. She didn't need Micajah worrying, when his ample focus should've been on the trial today. She sits there for a good half hour, her insides feeling more and more uncomfortable.

Adah reprimands herself again. Having a second breakfast again within the span of two hours, wasn't the best idea, regardless of how hungry she was. The nausea builds up , and you would've thought that it would've left, when eventually she puked everything she had eaten out into one of the bathroom toilets, but it stayed with her, teasing her. It was as if it was there to remind her not to put her body through that again. She spends the rest of the morning, on the balcony in her room, laying on the wooden furnish, trying to keep cool and drinking a lot of water.

She's jolted once hearing the commotion occur in the courtyard. It was nearing noon now, and she could see cars from the balcony pull in from the long, main road from the borders. There were lots of cars, with many different scents. Many wolves from many different packs, had come to see the trial today, had come to see the truth and had come to see the Elder Council be brought down to their knees. A knock on her door makes her get up fully, a maid telling her she needed to get ready.

She takes a cold shower, keeping her hair dry, and slips into a low-cut navy dress. She takes the initiative to straighten her hair, parting it in the middle, and pulling it back into a low slick ponytail. She was feeling a lot better, after having dolled herself up. 

Pulling on some flats, she heads out into the entrance of the palace, the gates still closed. Everyone was there, from her mate to people she didn't know – the judge and the jury. Micajah was directing them into the ballroom, and also giving the guards some direction on what to do when, with the wolves being trialed and the members of the public that wanted to watch.

"Sorry for leaving you alone this morning. You good after last night?" tone tender, as his hands wrap around her waist, slender fingers clutching her tight. Adah gives him a soft smile.

"It's okay. I understand. I'm feeling a lot better since last night," giving him another smile, and not wanting to tell him of the instances that had occurred. He had to be on his top game for today, and she didn't need to make herself a priority. That would be selfish.

He gives her a grin, pressing a kiss to her temple. The silver in his eyes are light, and warm with her.

"Do you think I could get some coffee?" she murmurs after a while, mouth salivating for something caffeinated. He raises a brow.

"Coffee? I thought you were into tea," her face scrunches at the thought of tea at this minute, and she shakes her head.

"I need something stronger, something to keep me awake through this trial," but she also knows deep down she just really wants it for the sake of wanting it. He chuckles, murmuring that it could be arranged.

They linger around for another while, waiting for the ballroom to be set up, and for the last finishing touches to be done. The trial had run a little late in regarding the time that it was meant to have started, but eventually the palace doors open, the public beckoned inside to come and take their seats.

Everything falls to silence.

Adah sticks with Micajah, who holds her hand, as she drinks her coffee out of her polystyrene cup, loving how it danced on her taste buds. They head into the ballroom, which had completely transformed itself into a courtroom. The judge and the jury had been set up, all wolves randomly selected to reduce bias. One on side was the prosecution side, where Jayden stood in a suit, a file in his hand. Behind him sat Lena and Uriah, also dressed appropriately, Micajah adjusts his tie, pulling Adah to sit with them.

On the opposite side, sat a lot of wolves who were going to be for the defendants, each elder council member having chosen their representation or being appointed if they didn't have any.

The public area had been filled to the brim, with only the capacity of about ninety wolves. Micajah had given the choice of three or so members to come from every pack, but this was going to be televised as well, so it didn't really matter. Not many Alpha's and Luna's came, but many of just normal pack members. Adah spots Ahmed, and Luna Ella though, as well as Luna Mariah.

Before them sat a table of witnesses, including Lyle and Elias. The blonde male gives Adah a wink as they make eye contact, an easy-going grin on his lips.

The courtroom hushes to being quiet, no more fussing and moving happening.

The judge clears his throat, the older male reading out.

"We are gathered here today to determine the fate of the members making up the Elder Council, to be specific eight members, which have many accusations made against them, We will start with the prosecution. Mr Jayden Grant, if you could please begin," the judge commences. 

He's the one with the power in the room today, and the King knows it, sitting at ease with his mate, just being Micajah. He doesn't necessarily mind.

Jayden clears his throat before standing up. He emanates confidence and ease, the shy timid wolf being tucked away. He was in his element today, and it made all his friends proud, beaming with joy for this wolf. His voice is clear, calm and composed.

"I would like to start by bringing out Byron. Byron Walters," 

A/N - i don't know how smooth this chapter flows, especially the first part. hopefully it's okay.