Chapter 23

When I woke up the bed was empty. My dad pounded and I felt awful. I was sad but I understood why she had to go. I knew it was going to happen, I knew I couldn't stop it but I tried anyway. Maybe if I wasn't so fucked up last night then I could've stopped him from leaving the group.

I could feel myself shutting down, and bottling up my emotions. This was why I didn't try to get close to people, or try and save them. Because I learned a long time ago that it was pointless. 

I walked into school and Jackie immediately bounced over to me.

"Hey Alex. Do you know where Bailey is?" 

I ignored her in hopes that she would get the hint and leave me alone. I went to my locker then headed to my class and Jackie was still following me.

"Alex did you hear me? do you know where Bailey is?" she asks outside my class.

I glare at her, "Fuck off." and I walk into my class.

The rest of the day went fairly quickly and I tried to avoid Jackie at all costs. The last bell finally rung and for the first time I was the first person out of the classroom. I walked to my motorcycle quickly and saw Bailey standing there.

"Hey." she said and pulled me into a hug.

"What's up?" I ask already knowing the answer.  

She let go of me and glanced around and said "Owen was killed. Adrian's really broken up about. The vampire that killed him trespassed on our clan's territory. Adrian and Harry caught him and Harry's letting Adrian tortured him. Also I'm sorry I left you last night."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Also it doesn't matter." I could feel myself start to feel better but the empty feeling was still there.

"Are you ok?" she asked searching my face. 

"I'm fine." I say giving her a fake smile.

"Ok. So what are you planning to do this weekend?"

"I'm going to go to these roads that not a lot of people use." I say.

"Cool can I come? I need to get away from this mess." she asked looking at me eagerly.

How could I say no to her? I mean she might be scared to death but she has nothing to worry about, she's immortal.

"Fine. Be at my house at 9 tomorrow." 

"Ok." she said and gave me a hug. "I have to go now, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye." I say giving her a small wave.

"Bye." she said giving me a quick kiss on the cheek and then disappeared.

I sighed and headed home. After dinner immediately went to bed, but I couldn't fall asleep so I stared at the ceiling all night.

The next morning I wrote a note to my parents telling them where I was going to be for the day. I grabbed a backpack with some food and water, a portable charger and my wallet. 

When I stepped outside Bailey was leaning against my house with her helmet. She smiled immediately when she saw me. The next thing I knew I was in her arms and she gave me a kiss.

"Here wear this." I say handing her the backpack.

"Ok." she put it on and we got on and drove off.

It was a half hour drive to the unpopulated roads, I stopped to get gas and then took the exit to the roads. I switched my bike to sports mode and took off down the road.

"Alex. What the hell!" Bailey screamed and her arms tightened around my waist. I could feel the adrenaline pump through my veins and pushed to go faster. 

I felt free, like I was flying. I wish I could go this fast forever but I knew I had to turn around soon or else I wouldn't be able to make it back to the gas station. I started drifting to one side of the road, and I think Bailey could sense that she should hold on tighter, so her grip tightened even more. 

I was driving on the edge of the road and then made a 180 and started accelerating back down the road. I felt so alive.

I slowed as we got back on the highway and I took the exit to the gas station. I pulled up the the gas pump and started pumping the gas. Bailey got off and took off her helmet and she look mad.

"Alex what the hell were you thinking!? You could've died!?  Are you insane!?" she yelled.

"Bailey relax, you're the one who said they wanted to come and I've done this before it's safe, the only risk is running out of gas." I say calmly.

She stared at me and then suddenly I was in her arms. 

"Bailey it's ok." I say hugging her back. I felt bad for scaring her.

She gently put her lips on my and our kiss turned heated. she started kissing down my neck when heard the pump click signaling that it was done. I push Bailey away and took the pump and put it back in it's holder.

"No what do you want to do?" I ask her.

"Kiss you." se said with a grin.

I glare at her and roll my eyes, "No seriously."

"Are you hungry? We can go to that diner then back to my house." she suggested.

"Ok." I nod and we get back on the bike and headed to the diner.

While we were stopped at a red light and a guy pulled up on his motorcycle and grinned at me.

"You want to race little girl?" he asked with a creepy smile.

"Why not." I reply. The light turned green and we both took off and I immediately left him in the dust.

We arrived at the diner and got a booth. I wasn't that hungry so I ordered a sprite and ice cream and Bailey just ordered water.

When my ice cream came, Bailey looked at it and I pulled it closer to me. She picked up spoon and went to take some but I swatted her spoon away.

"Can I have some?"

"No."

"Please."

I rolled my eyes and scooped some on my spoon and held it out to her. She looked at me strangely and took the spoon from me. She ate it and I looked at her expectantly.

"It's ok." she said shrugging and handing back my spoon.

Just ok? Wow. You're insane this is some of the best ice cream ever." I say and I finish and paid.

We left the diner and Bailey grabbed my wrist, "No more going really fast ok?"

"Don't worry I won't go really fast anymore today." I say rolling my eyes and we got on and drove to Bailey's house.