In a Crowd of Millions

"How did you manage to lose the princess?!" Alden yelled to his guards. "How do you lose the girl that is basically our peace keeper?! She stands out in a crowd of millions!"

They stood around a round table in a secluded room in the castle. Biana, Fitz, Dex, Della and anyone else close to Sophie was in the room.

Biana, Dex and Fitz looked the most distressed. Biana wore little to no makeup, save for mascara and blush. Dex had his hair even messier than normal, his eyes were bloodshot.

Finally, Fitz say at the end of the table, his head held down to hide his broken expression.

"Father, please." Biana stepped forwards and walked to her father. Her heels click on the floor. "We have everyone imaginable looking for Sophie. We-."

"QUIET!" Alden yelled. No one had ever seen him so angry. Biana jumped back in fear and Dex rushed to her side to protect her. Of course they all knew he would never hurt them, but Dex had been jumpy and cautious since Sophie was taken.

Alden saw this, and his face fell. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, pumpkin, but I'm just so stressed."

"We'll find her." Della rested her hand in his shoulder and hugged him. She wore a simple white gown, the front had long bell sleeves, synched at the wrists. The skirt was poofy, but it wasn't super extreme. It was made out of white tulle.

"It's more than that, Del." Alden sighed and sat down at the other end of the table. "If her parents find out, we're doomed. Havenfield may seem powerless, maybe even too peaceful, but it's forces are great and powerful. Their kingdom is expansive. If they find out Sophie's gone..?"

"They won't." Fitz said, standing up and pushing his chair away. When he finally let everyone see his face, he looked like he'd cried for hours. His hair fell into his eyes and he wore a blank expression. "Well find her. I know we will."

"Have you had any luck?" Biana asked him, desperate for any good news.

He couldn't deliver any. He shook his head. "She won't transmit back and my telepathy isn't as great as hers. She can do basically everything I fail to."

"What about Keefe? Can he sense her emotions?"

"He said he can't feel anything with everyone else having negative emotions." Dex said at last. "Physical contact is required for most, but he senses so much frustration in everyone that he doesn't need to touch anyone."

"So we have zero leads?" Biana asked, her voice hitching.

Della rushed over to her. She wrapped her in a tight hug and stroked her hair. "My dear, we know you were close. This must be rough on all of you..."

Biana pushed away from her mother. "Don't say we were! You're making it sound like she's dead!"

"Biana we've never dealt with this before. Kidnapping hasn't ever happened. We don't know what usually happens..."

"So what?! We assume that my best friend is dead?! I won't believe that for a second!"

"Biana-," Alden started.

"No!" Biana turned to Dex. "Dex, she's your cousin. You can't agree with them, right?"

"Of course I don't believe it!" He replied, sounding slightly offended that she would think otherwise.

"Fitz. Brother, she's your fiancé! So you have to keep going. We can't stop!"

"That goes without saying..but.." He replied. "We just have no leads. These people have attacked before, but we've already tried everything.."