Sunday

SUNDAY

Figuring that he had stalled long enough, Adam picked up his phone while he waited in the car for Jamie to grab their dinner. It was his turn to buy.

They would be working security tonight at the stockyard by the pier for pay duty. He and Jamie often put down their names for these extra shifts and they usually made some pretty good money doing it. This one was going to be long and boring but worth it. Since Samantha was working until 11pm anyway and then had class at 7am – who the hell had class at 7? He decided that he should probably leave her alone and let her sleep tonight so he signed on for the extra shift with Jamie. He smiled at the thought. The poor woman was not getting much sleep lately.

Not to mention that the engagement ring he had his eye on and had put on lay-away would cost him a bit but then he figured that he had a few months to pay it off before Samantha would be ready for him to propose. Once Adam McCabe decided what he wanted he went for it until he got it, and Samantha being his wife was not going to be any different.

His call was picked up on the second ring.

"Hey Mac, it's Adam"

"Hey man. Everything okay? How's Sam?"

Adam smiled and settled back into his seat. "Hasn't she checked in yet today?"

Mac swore and Adam chuckled. "She will. She works until 11pm. I have a pay duty tonight so she will probably call you on her break or when she gets home"

"How's she getting home?"

"I called Emma Kate. Samantha won't like it but Emma Kate will meet her at the café and sleep over. They both have early classes tomorrow so, she'll get over feeling guilty about it pretty quickly"

Mac laughed. "You sure have got her figured out. How's the living together going and please spare me the graphic details. I'll remind you that is my sister and I have no problems hurting you"

Adam found himself grinning again. "That's why I was calling. We never did finish our conversation the other night so I wanted to make sure that we're cool. I don't get to be home as much as I want but other than that, the living together is going great" he paused for effect "Your sister is great in the ..." he heard Mac growl "in the kitchen, man. Relax, she's a great cook." Laughing at Mac's cursing he added "I wouldn't talk about her the way you're thinking. She's mine and our personal life is nobody's business. Like I already told you, I love her. I was just messing with you."

"Yeah, I know" Adam heard a voice in the background before Mac said "Look, I've got to be going but how do you feel about fishing? Finn and I are planning to take a weekend in a few months. There's a cabin that we usually rent every year. It'd be great if you could come"

"I'd like that" Adam said genuinely. "Email me the dates and I'll make sure I don't take any extra shifts."

"Ok man, talk to you later. And if you are talking to Sam, tell her not to call me after 11, I might be sleeping" more noise behind Mac "but I expect a text at some point tonight.

"You got it. Talk to you later"

Samantha was surprised to see Emma Kate come into the café at the end of her shift and narrowed her eyes at her. "Adam called you" she accused.

Emma Kate narrowed her eyes back "Yes" 

She shrugged and climbed onto a stool at the counter. "You and I both have early classes tomorrow and I wouldn't mind anyway. You know that"

Sighing Samantha grabbed her coat and waved to Joe who was locking up.

"I know that. And I know that he means well but I'm getting fed up with all of this and" she put her hand up "I know that I am sounding extremely ungrateful and whiney right now. I can hear it".

Emma Kate laughed and linked her arm through Samantha's. "Let's go eat ice cream in our pjs".

"Sounds good. We'll have to stop at the store though. I'm out"

Emma Kate slanted her a cocky look.

"Don't worry, babe. I've got this."

Laughing, Sam rested her head on Emma Kate's shoulder.

"And this is why I love you".