Chapter 74

Dr. Scott Thompson was next to enter her room and she was immediately relieved to see him instead of Dr. Mayne.

Although he had asked her out on a date when they first met several years ago he had courteously accepted her answer of 'no, thank you' and the two of them had become friends over the years. He entered the exam room quickly, immediately looking reassured when he saw her sitting up and waiting for him.

"Sam, what the hell happened?" He rushed over to check out the gash on her head which Amanda had pulled together temporarily with adhesive. He slipped on a pair of gloves and poked gently at her temple and cheek. He lifted her chin with his finger so that he could look directly into her eyes and finish his examination and his finger caressed her jaw before he turned his gaze away and stepped back. "I think you are going to need a couple of stitches on your temple but the cut on your cheek should be fine with the adhesive. Please tell me that whoever did this to you has been caught"

"Thanks, Scott. Yes, actually he should be here shortly, if he isn't already" she felt her words catch in her throat before she cleared it. "He was shot by the police officer who saved me" She felt tears come to her eyes and Scott jumped to his feet before she waved him off. "I'm fine" she smiled sheepishly. "Just a bit emotional all of a sudden".

Amanda came back in at that point to let them know that the CT scan was ready so the three of them proceeded down the hall.

When she finally came back to the waiting area, Adam was there – once again pacing back and forth. Pacing with him, however, was her father and she saw her mother sitting with Mrs. Connor in the hard plastic waiting-room chairs. Noticing her, Adam rushed over gathering her up and crushing her to him once more. He reached up to tenderly run his finger along her stitches. "Are you okay, baby?" he asked before kissing her lips softly. She nodded and held him tight needing his warmth for a minute before letting go and walking into her father's arms who was waiting behind Adam.