The Prologue

- DANIEL -

- DANIEL -

"Please come in, Mr Spencer is expecting you," says the house steward. Standing gallantly by the front steps, he leads me into the Manor.

A big house of silver chandeliers, glass tables and marble steps. It was a sight to behold of course - but nothing new to me.

"I hope you've had a good day Mr Hearst, Sir Spencer surely did," the steward joked, chuckling and I smiled listening to our echoing steps as we meandered through different halls. The setting sun glinting through every window crack.

"Decent I suppose had to take the trains today," I replied.

"Oh, how come?"

"Car problem."

"Ah, yes, I've heard." He smiled, stopping by the staggering mahogany doors with a gloved hand on the handle.

"I'm sure the Mayor sent his regards."

He opened the doors and I clenched my jaw, letting out a breath of frustration at the reminder. This house is no place for common niceties nor is it a place for crusades. It would take more than subtext to put me in apprehension.

"Ah, my favourite associate. Welcome back," a devilish smile greets me and I returns the same feigns. He stood tall, buttoning his blazer as he walked around the table, reaching his hand out. I shake it.

"Good evening, Tobias," I say, formalities at bay.

"And to you my friend." He averted his eyes and leans in menacingly. "I'm sure you've got what you came here for?"

"Of course," I smirked. "Never forget it."

"Good," the glint of his steel eyes shadowed the scar above it. "Your mother raised you right."

Turning back to his desk, I follow suit and stood before him refusing to sit lest it gives him dominance. I stood there silently as he poured us two glasses of scotch - on the rocks.

"How's the car?" He asked, back turned to me and I looked around. Heaven forbid I crack a poise of anger.

"Totalled. Quite a wreckage there Tobias and quite the cover story. Impressive." I say against all my better judgements.

"Well, I had to teach a lesson, my dear boy." He hands me a glass. "You understood why it's done?"

I furrow my brows and his smirk grows wider.

"Don't whine, none was hurt. I made sure you weren't in the car." He sipped on his drink, mocking my stance.

"My mother wasn't impressed." I slid the briefcase onto his desk and he only observed. Hand in his pocket and a drink on the other.

The clicks of the locks are starting to sound like bells from hell at this point - shame I'm by its cusps. Smells of cigars and liquor filled my lungs as the briefcase opened suggesting years of men handling it.

"Everything in there?"

"Of course it is," I said through gritted teeth feeling the blood rushing through my veins, igniting like kerosene. "Where else would it be?"

"Don't take that tone with me boy," he compels and I shut my mouth reluctantly. Stepping away from the table and downing all of the scotch in hopes that it would calm the nerves.

I watched him run his fingers through the items of the briefcase. Every ridge and every piece of it.

"So you're telling me, if I opened these I'd have all that I need?" He mocks as though I were some stupid child. I scoffed.

"My business and your family has been having the same transactions for decades. You get what you need, we get what we need. Nothing's changed." I replied to him, caring less about my temper but more about the men who stood by the door. Guns in hand with eagle eyes all watching me.

"If that were the case then why did I have to teach a lesson, Daniel?" He drops the name and I rethink my actions. There is no heart in this man. None at all and a person with no heart is nothing but ruthless.

"What you asked from us wasn't part of the deal,"

"No it wasn't, but it was an incentive. You never turn me down." He reiterates with much sternness as he stood tall before me - staring me down.

But I stare right back.

It isn't my fear of him that's stopping me from taking him down. It's my fear of what he could do.

"Ugh, daddy, enough with the theatrics."

The doors opened wide and in walks the devil's spawn herself. The Spencer daughter with her ginger her and cherry red lips that she loved so much. She stared at me, smirking as her eyes whittled down from my eyes to wherever they took her. She bites off a cherry from its stem and throws it away.

"I need him," she says and I frown.

"For what?"

"My business is just about to take off and I need the coverage. You've got the influence right?" Her insolence is astounding.

I laughed. "I'm not doing anything for you anymore, not with our..." I look at Tobias, "deals."

"Oh please, it won't have anything to do with him." She raised a brow, placing a hand on her slim red-dress hips. "It's all for me."

"Because everything is?" Tobias chuckled and I fight my smile.

At least there's one thing we can agree on.

"So?" She dismissed her father and I looked at him.

"I don't care," he simply replied while he disappeared into his pile of paperwork.

Once I looked back, I find Mallory with her hand on my collar and the other on my hip. I rolled my eyes and groaned in irritation.

"Oh come on, don't be like that. A few photos never hurt anybody." She bit my lip and I could have done the worst. I could have done murderous things right here.

Having had enough of their humiliation, their insolence and their slaving treachery. If it weren't for history, I wouldn't be in this position, having any way to say no.

One day this will end and it wouldn't be so pretty.

I don't think they've seen true power at all.

•••

Hey! As of Dec 12, 2021, this is a new prologue, revised and edited!