12 | fuck the patriarchy

Annoyed by the early birds chirping as though they were right next to me, I groaned and rolled over, burying my head in a pile of pillows

Annoyed by the early birds chirping as though they were right next to me, I groaned and rolled over, burying my head in a pile of pillows. My eyes were just as heavy as they were last night but my body was telling me to finally get up. With the inescapable sun glaring through the cracks of the pillow and the cold air seeping through my window sill, I rolled over. Now staring at the ceiling, I contemplated whether it was best for me to rest and stay in bed or return to work to commend my people. Sadly, the latter sounded more like normality to me.

Perhaps it was the dreamy wedding or the rather pretentious reunion I had yesterday that made me realise that the only step forward and out of this dump is to get back to normality. Whether that means waking up at seven am to shower and get to work...or wake up at ten am and read the recent update on the lawsuit.

I yawned whilst I scrolled through my emails and even answering my lawyers. Normality may be a stretch when I have a big law for breakfast but that shouldn't stop me from going about my day with a glass half full. So, contrary to what I would usually do, I got out of my bed and headed straight to the bathroom to get ready.

The first second I saw myself in the mirror, all that had happened in the past twelve hours had flooded in like a cold November. I looked at how my eyes were glazed over with the memory or how my lips were so dry I could feel the jagged edges of the broken skin. My hair had turned into a matted nest and I solemnly whined. A splash of the cold water didn't do the trick so I decided to take another shower. But as life would have it, the show must go on.

So, indeed it goes on. There I sat on my small dining table looking out into the street whilst forcing myself to eat a banana. I haven't really caught an appetite.

On my way out, I came to look for my keys. I found them in the deep pockets of my dress only to realize one was missing-a car key.

"Damn," I sighed, scratching my head. But as the epiphany hit, I swiftly made my way to my front porch window. Before I could even look out, I found a card slipped under my door.

Biting my lip, I picked it up and read it.

Car key is buried beneath the one stone on the plant outside your door. Hope you slept well. - Daniel

I scoffed. "No way,"

I rushed to open the door, finding the plant he had been writing about. Indeed, a smooth white stone shone brightly in the morning light and I laughed as I bent down to pick it up and find...my car key. I blew off some of the dirt that managed to wedge itself in the small crevices. I laughed even more at the thought.

"He actually drove this here himself," I tell myself, looking over at my parked car. "And he said he's got, people."

Knowing there were absolutely no questions to ask, I rushed back inside and found his blazer draped over the couch. I picked its pockets not finding more than his pocket square and on the inside, a myriad of business cards-and his wallet.