36 | new year's eve

The Hearst building lit up with a plethora of colours

The Hearst building lit up with a plethora of colours. Looking like the Empire State Building itself, I look up in awe, watching as bright lights flicker and strobes above upon the rooftop. From down here the music is nothing more than a few decibels.

I walked in, following the best of the crowd in their long dresses and fine tux. The lobby crawled with waiting guests on the lifts but I on the other hand was told to wait for a security detail. Looking out the window, I discerned a few wisps of snow. Remnants of the day's worth. It has been cold for the day but here, it's all warmth and nobility.

"Miss Garcia." I turn around and there I find Rick walking up to me in his all black attire.

"Rick?" I smiled, relieved to find a familiar face. "Shouldn't you be serving drinks at the party?" I said, though looking back at it now, it sounded a little condescending.

"I would be but..." He taps his ear and there, an earpiece lay enclosed. I furrowed my brows. "...I'm kind of on duty."

My mouth fell open, and I scoffed in disbelief. He's been security this whole time. Of course he's security, he doesn't just happen to be a charming stranger who was kind enough to warn me about the family I'm getting into.

"Should have seen that one," I joked while I smoothed out my dress. Careful not to let it drag all across the floor — and to not step on it.

"This way please." he gestures behind us and I follow. "I should warn you, Mr Hearst hasn't been quite the personality lately." He gossips, reaching the back lifts. Ones I remember going straight to Daniel's office.

I sighed. I know exactly why Daniel's been less than cable lately. Being on edge with everything is one thing. The second is how depleting our time spent together has been — if we spend time at all.

During the few days that led to this night, we tried to mend things and we did. Him telling me vaguely about the dangers of the Spencer's — mostly about how they're not exactly the most honest family — and me explaining how scary it is to just go off in the deep end with nothing but a conditional trust. We settled on it. Then we decided to test the waters. On a Tuesday we went to a secret picnic. Somewhere we thought no one would find us.

But they did. Eventually a few cars had pulled up and we had to run like little kids past their bedtime. It was our first normal day together since this whole thing had begun and we couldn't even last an hour if it was the last thing we did.

That's why he's frustrated.

"I hope he hasn't been unkind," I sympathise, watching as the city below became smaller.

"Mr Hearst is a kind gentleman ma'am. He loses his temper, might say a couple harsh words but he is never unkind — until given a reason otherwise," Rick's voice sounded reassuring but the few soft tones slipped a memory. Like he's contesting himself.