34 | naughty list

Daniel leaned against the banister that looked over the free land beyond the Manor's

Daniel leaned against the banister that looked over the free land beyond the Manor's. The rest of the estate stretches out for hectares. I stayed back, wondering if I should come up to him and leave him be for the time being. I know when I'm upset I tend to want time all to myself — but I've yet to find out if that's what Daniel wants. I've never seen him be this upset before. All I've known of him is how sweet he is. The way his eyes lit up in the smallest of amusements. Seeing him worked up and just beating up his own family is new and uncharted territory.

"He didn't do anything else did he?" He asked to keep his gaze away from me but I'm guessing him talking to me is him asking for company.

"N-no. I'm fine," I reassured as I stood next to him. The wind, blowing at us with its wintery spit. I shiver.

"Here." Shrugging off his blazer, he brought it over my shoulder and wrapped me in it. He smiles a tired one and I return it, realising how he must feel after what he's just been told.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah,"

Having never seen him admit that he feels bad, I felt silly asking. Of course he wouldn't admit it if he felt bad, I wonder if he'd ever had someone who listened to him. My heart ached at the thought of him having unsaid emotions for the better of everyone around him.

"If it helps I think he's a piece of shit,"

He laughed, breaking through his thick wall of anger. I watched him and smiled to myself as I took in how his skin reflected the faint lights that surrounded us.

"He is." He nodded, turning to me. "Jeanette I...I just want to say that I know why you must feel so mistrusting —"

"Daniel, it's fine it was a moment don't —"

"No, no please let me," he cuts me off almost desperately and my eyes soften to him.

"You're right I am good at lying," he admitted and I furrowed my brows. "In fact it's one of the important skills you learn from trying to survive under patronising gazes and such. I can't defend against that."

He grabbed my hands and turned me to face him.

"But know this, if there's one thing I would never do it's going to be lying to you. I could never do that if I tried. So do with that information as you wish—"

I wrapped my arms around his neck and placed a deep kiss on his lips. Savouring the taste of wine on our lips as we stood there lost in passion. Our lips danced against one another to the perfect cadence of heartbeats.

"Shut up," I breathed as we pulled away and leaned against each other.

"Stay the night," he whispers and I bite my lip. "Please?"

"Okay," I uttered back, hovering my lips. "okay."

***

When we got back up, the party had moved elsewhere and Daniel had the brilliant idea to just take us up to his room. I'd highly bet on the fact that he doesn't want to hear all about how he's just beaten up Tom.