21 | vintage puppy love

I clasped my bra as Daniel groggily wrapped his arms around my waist

I clasped my bra as Daniel groggily wrapped his arms around my waist. Smiling, I turned to him and scanned over his half-covered body whilst he squinted his eyes open.

"What are you doing?" He asked sleepily. "Come back to bed." He pats the space where I used to be and I peel his arm off.

"I'm gonna go get a glass of water," I tell him, glancing at the small clock by the bed. Three-thirty it said; the moonlight shining off of the ornament beside it. "By the looks of it you also need to get up."

He groaned, trying to pull me back down but I laughed and fought him off.

"You said we leave at dawn." I reminded him, reliving our conversation—the plan to get home.

"Just a few more minutes?" He pleads but I mocked the shadow of a pout in his lips and got up anyway. 

"I can make it worth your while?" I heard him a joke and I laughed but continued walking away. I know he can preach what he says. Best not to question.

I squint, my eyes adjusting to the bright kitchen light whilst I grabbed myself a glass and a pitch of water from the fridge. The cold floors make contact with the soles of my feet that I shiver. Looking out, I find the misty morning air touching the golden leaves that reflected the shades of blue in the skies. 

“Model or actress?” 

My heart stopped, hearing a deep and demanding voice from far behind me. For a second I froze, then, I dropped the glass where it made a loud crash on the sink. As my reflexes would have it, I grabbed the closest thing next to me and whipped around—a pan. 

“Or Rapunzel in that sense. Never seen that before.” There, sitting comfortably with his legs crossed on the couch was a man. Thinner than Daniel but seemed to be about his age. He sat by a lamp so I could clearly see the green in his eyes and the dirty blond of his hair. 

I hear Daniel’s bedroom door open and he walks out half dressed, itching his eyes whilst groggily saying, “Jean—”

His eyes found the stranger on the couch but he didn’t flinch. Slowly, he only squinted his eyes and kept it on the stranger. The silence between the three of us became so heavy that I was wondering why no one was moving. Why, if this was some type of break in, no one has died or is bleeding on the floor. Oh my God, does this guy have a gun?

Just before I could jump off of the ledge into hitting someone or running away, Daniel walks up to the stranger and said stranger stands, clenching his hands and jaw as though he was about to hit him. Ready as I was to throw hands, imagine my surprise when both of them broke into gleeful smiles. 

As if things can’t get any more hazy, I find myself watching these men hug each other and laugh. I furrowed my brows, wondering if this was some type of sick dream and if so, then I am not quite the fan of it.