13 | history

"Becca, can you please hold all my calls

"Becca, can you please hold all my calls. I'm headed out." Daniel peeks his head through the small office and I wait out.

"But sir, the Hong Kong line-"

"Becca, we've established that deal is a lost cause. Call it."

"Yes sir," Becca's tone changed into a more reserved one and I bit my cheek. Daniel looked at me and ushered me to the lifts where I reimagined the views I had seen not too long ago.

"Busy day?" I asked, a low attempt on small talk but an attempt nonetheless. He leans on the side and says,

"You could say that. Businesses like these usually never lose a deal to close or a contract to sign. Today is actually quieter than usual. Must be the wedding."

The elevator opened and a few employees walked in, greeting their boss with quiet smiles and flustered looks. He moved in closer as the space filled that by the time we had reached the thirty-fourth floor, my arm was against the glass and Daniel stood cornered behind me. Close enough I can feel his chest expand as he breathed.

"How about you? Any busier than I am perhaps?" He asked and I felt his voice run down my back. It doesn't help either that he is significantly taller than me that as he speaks, I feel his breath on my hair. I shiver.

"Usually I would complain but hearing you describe your workload, I actually feel obliged to be grateful."

He laughs, rumbling through his suit to my skin. I smiled as a few employees eyed me like the black swan in their ocean of dizzying pantsuits that I am.

Finally, we got to the floor and I breathed again. Taking in the coffee filled state of the building that as soon as we got out, the air outside seemed eternally foreign. The business and eloquence inside the building are aeons away from the rampant and exuberant loudness of the London streets. I led us to my car and watched as Daniel got comfortable.

He takes his blazer off and as soon as he takes a seat, he wiggles his brown tie loose until it is untied and rolled leaving him in nothing but a fitted white button-up and brown slacks. I hadn't realized how long I'd had my eyes on him until he finally turned to me. A smug look dawned on his face. I feel my cheeks flush.

"So where are we headed?" He asked as we pulled out and onto the road.

"I..." I cleared my throat, "I've heard of this place a long while back and I've always wanted to go but never had the time to. So I guess that's where we'll go."

As we reached the main road, I found our silence to be ironic-well mine at least since I was the one who offered to meet.

"Speaking of the wedding," I said. "What did they think when you came back looking like you've just been through hell and back looking for a woman's car?"

"Funny story." He chuckled. "My sister and mother actually caught me sneaking to talk to the security about accessing the parking and that conversation was...interesting to say the least."