24 | breaking news

"Where the hell have you been? You've been MIA and I can't even reach your phone?" Lexi barged into my office just as I had taken a sip of the scalding tea I'd brought

"Where the hell have you been? You've been MIA and I can't even reach your phone?" Lexi barged into my office just as I had taken a sip of the scalding tea I'd brought. I rolled my eyes and waved to her to close the door.

"Good morning to you too," I told her. I'm stalling, I know but it's for a good cause.

"I never said it was good,"

"Here we go," I groaned whilst I took a file and pretended that there was something more interesting in these folders.

I looked through my lashes when I was met by her silence. Lexi stood there with her jewel padded fingers wrapped around the other. She stands like my mother and nothing else wakes my vices more than that just did. I sighed, closing the folder just a little sternly than I liked and crossed my arms too.

"You said you would have been home by last night but you never came,"

"I decided to leave a little later."

She laughs at that, flipping her perfectly straightened hair behind her as she leaned down on the table-staring me down. She must think I fear her but then again, she knows me enough to understand her little smugness doesn't do much against the years I lived in my mother's house.

"Remember when you gave your grandad's home number for emergencies?" She says.

"Yes," I gulped.

"Ok, so it wouldn't surprise you when I tell you I called the house?" She said and I averted my eyes. Well shit. She might not scare me but she sure is witty. Damn her for that.

"Imagine my surprise when the lovely caretaker, Vivian, tells me that you hadn't called; that you hadn't planned a visit? Where the hell-"

"Sit down Alexis," her eyes widened at me calling her by the name but it's something she couldn't refuse.

Gathering myself, I tugged on my blazer and made sure it wasn't slipping over my bare chest. Quite risque I suppose but I need something different for a change. To feel like I'm in control again.

"First of all, I'm sorry for not telling you where I've been," I tell her. "Secondly, if you ever come on to me like that again I will mess up your perfectly straight hair you understand?"

"Excuse me?" She says with offence in her tone.

"Lexi, we both know I have a temper. Let's not pretend that I don't."

"I'm not pretending. I just know it takes a lot for something to take you over the edge which makes me think you're already on edge, to begin with." She deduced and I tilted my head slightly. "If it were about your mother you would already be in California by how quickly you've spit out some insanely rabid insults so if it's not her then what the hell is going on?"

"You really are on thin ice." I point at her with gritted teeth and she opens her lips to say something but I stop her. "If you would just let me talk then you'd actually hear it instead of using your snoopy ass to judge."