22 | no such thing as bad press

Slowly, it became clear to me why Daniel was so adamant on keeping me a secret

Keeping us a secret.

The one I once knew as a laid back, serendipitous person has now reverted to his professional ways. As we drove away from the mall and back to his place, he busied himself on the phone to his team and management and anyone he could get a hold of. All the while he kept his eye out on every mirror of the car. The anxiety radiates off him like the heat from a wildfire. Everytime he apologized for not being attentive towards me, I felt his disappointment-I see it in his weak smiles. For a moment there was a pause in between cold calls and heavy sighs where I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. When he looked at me, I felt his body relax and even though he tried to hide it by looking away, I still noticed it. It must be hard for him to be this vulnerable this early yet that's still the least of his concerns.

"T-there's a cap and my sunglasses in the dashboard compartment. Could you just put them on please?" He says reluctantly but I didn't question it and did as I was told.

"Daniel?" I say as I put them on. "I'm okay."

He looked at me and furrowed his brows.

"I'm okay." I repeated. "Don't worry too much about me, okay? Just try and get us there safely. Focus on that." I said softly, hiding my hair in the cap.

Feeling my hand trembling to my side, I attempt to hide it from him, fearing that he will see and ensue further panic that he certainly doesn't need. He's got enough in his system to deal with and adding mine wouldn't particularly be making life any easier for him.

He continues to look around curiously, on every mirror he can keep his eyes on. From the other drivers to the lorries. I can feel the constance of his panic rising every second we keep in this car.

It wasn't long until we took a turn into the heart of the city where surely, more issues had arisen.

"Oh my-"

"Jeanette, keep your head down please."

The sound of cameras flashing from a distance came closer and it drowned out the people speaking to Daniel on the speaker. As I bowed my head, tipping the hat down to cover as much of my face as I could, I could hear the forceful demands of the people thumping on my window. I flinched.

My heart's beating a hundred miles an hour that I can only hear ringing and the faint requests of Daniel to his team. I couldn't look at him; risky for those outside to see. Neither can I even voice out my own concerns as I'm afraid that every word that I utter would be subjected into silence; drowned by the shouts of demands of all those preying on the next big headline.

Then my nightmare ensues. The car begins to rattle and a million thoughts race in my mind as we slowly come to a stupendous stop. Though I guess some pictures would be better than twenty hit-and-runs. I start to tremble under my own skin. Fearing the worst, I bit my tongue and hoped it would calm me, instead, it dried my mouth and I'm back where I started. Still unable to quite grasp the fact that I am here, a prey to the cameras.