10 | wedding weather

The loud gracious storm of the bride and her maids came through

The loud gracious storm of the bride and her maids came through. The pink champagne lights fluttered all down their pretty dresses whilst the groom and his men followed. I laughed at their contagious joy. Dancing about and screaming lyrics to this song that I don’t even know. I breathed and smoothed my dress down as I made my way to the open bar to catch myself another glass of the bubbly. I’d have something stronger but considering I’ll be driving home later, that’s probably not too smart of an idea. 

“Champagne please,” I waved the bartender down who was more than happy to pour me a flute. So there, I sat watching the party begin. Everyone cheered for the newly wedded couple. 

Frankly, that was one of the most beautiful ceremonies I’ve ever seen. By the time us guests were in the cusps of the groom’s vows, mascara tears had already done their second lap. I for one was in tears as soon as the bride, Dahlia, walked down the aisle. She was so beautiful that she put any top model or Miss universes to shame. And I don’t even want to begin with her dress. It was just all so perfect I guess. 

I took a sip and listened to the couple’s kind words of thanks. 

“I hope you won’t be hogging the bar.”

I turn only to come face-to-face with Daniel. First time I’ve seen him since the ceremony. Pursing my lips, I sat up straight. 

“Getting drunk would probably be overstaying my welcome.” I joked and he chuckled. “Shouldn’t you be with them up there?”

It’s true, they have a whole banquet up there of the groomsmen and bridesmaids. Though, I don’t see an open seat—besides for the couple who were still too busy breaking the ice of the party. 

Daniel cranks his neck up, looking at the table and I watched as he loosened his tie just a little. 

“I should be but you see, I struck a deal with my sister. She can appoint me as her knight of honour and I’ll do the duties if she doesn’t strangle me with the restrictions of said position. That includes toppling from the precipice of these vicious, vicious relatives. She can have that privilege for once,” he tells me so casually yet so aggressive at the same time I had to laugh. He noticed and laughed too, perhaps in confusion. 

“A real businessman huh?” 

Shyly, he tipped his head down and swirled his drink. “I like to say there are some traits worth learning on the job. I mean, I’m not the only corporate employee here aren’t I?” He raised a brow.

Everyone on the main floor began gathering, mostly the women. 

“Between you and me I think you have the leverage in making better deals,” I admitted. “Truth is I had no idea what I was doing with a business nor what to do with it. I was out of med school. I didn’t study any of it.”

“And yet you took initiative. That’s what business is all about.” He sipped his bronze drink and I cautiously observed the way he sat just a seat away from me with his elbows propped on the counter. From this angle, his jaw could cut me if I tried to lay a finger on it. Then, he spun, facing the main floor where his sister is now suggesting the bouquet throwing.