chapter one hundred six.

Ben mumbled some lyrics to some song he had made up in his head as he played the piano. Claudia noticed that he closed his eyes as he played. He even stuck his tounge when he was singing. He looked too concentrated. Edward had finally gotten the piano he always wanted, courtesy of Layna's friends dad. Ben seemed like the right guy to make sure it worked.

Claudia watched Ben hit the keys, one by one. He kept playing as if he was putting on a show for someone. In his mind, he was putting on a show for the woman he loved, she just didn't know yet.

"Wow, actor, beautiful man and he knows how to play piano?! Where did you find this guy?" Janis asked Edward.

"Some alley? Don't know, but your daughter seems to take quite a liking to him." Edward gestured towards Claudia, who didn't take her eyes off of Ben.

"It's true love, soulmates, meant to be, all of the above, My Edward. But just so we're clear, we were here first." Janis kissed Edward's cheek.

"For sure, Janis darling," Edward grabbed her hand, spun her around then the couple started to slow dance. "How's your day been, Darling?"

"Shit, my Edward." Janis replied.

"Hmm . . . This is nice." They danced their way to the kitchen.

Ben then slowly started to press the keys, not knowing what else to play. He was stuck. He had a perfectly good song stuck in his head, but he couldn't finish it. Why? He guessed his creativity ran out.

"And when I sleep my soul you keep . . . My soul . . You keep." Ben repeated. He thought that maybe if he kept repeating it, then just maybe words would come to him. But nothing happened.

"I think it sounds beautiful, what more do you want to add to it?" Claudia walked to the piano and leaned on it.

"Don't know, I have nothing. Whatever, it was just a stupid little song I came up with." Ben shrugged.

"What's it called?" She asked.

"Don't know that either. Like i said, stupid little song." Ben then started playing random tunes.

Claudia sighed. She walked to the piano bench and sat next to Ben. She was glad she had memorized the keys Ben previously played.

"I didn't know you played," Ben said amazed at how well she played the piano.

"One of my kids taught me. They showed me so many songs," Claudia continued playing. "How did your song go?"

Ben started singing from the part he had left off. "You stopped my heart from fifty feet. It pumped and sang and skipped a beat. And when I sleep my soul you keep."

Claudia didn't know the first thing about lyric writing, but for some reason, she sang what she felt, she sang what felt right.

"I wish for you to be happy. I wish for you to be free. I wish for you to be fearless." She sang. Ben couldn't help but smile once he heard her voice. It sounded soft, the perfect harmony to his ears.

"Something something . . . Something!" Claudia chuckled as she stopped playing. "That's all I got, sorry."

"No, that was beautifully done. You surprise me everyday. Piano player and singer, what else are you not telling me?"

"I was in my high school glee club, got pregnant during sectionals and gave birth to a girl when the opposing team was singing bohemian rhapsody," Claudia said without thinking then noticed how quiet Ben had gotten. He was processing all this new information, not knowing if it true or false.

"Kidding, that a bit extreme even for me. I wasn't in glee club, didn't get pregnant and definitely didn't give birth . . . " an awkward silence surrounded then until Claudia spoke up. "So, this song . . ."

"Right. Uh, nameless and unfinished. But you were on the right track," Ben reached into his pocket and took out a piece of paper that had song lyrics scribbled on it. "I was thinking of something along the lines of 'you're always but never really mine', how's that sound?"

"Tragic, but lovely. And what if part of the bridge goes 'I won't wish to be yours or for you to be mine', a kid of mine writes awesome poetry and that line always stuck with me," Claudia stood up to find some paper and a pen. "Oh, this is so exciting! Mom, is there any ice cream left? Ben and I have some writing to do, we need all the ice cream there is!"

Ben laughed then returned his attention back to the piano. He quietly sang while he played the familiar keys. "You stopped my heart from fifty feet . . ."

An: if you haven't noticed yet, i was a gleek 🤪✌🏼 sometimes I'll find myself listening to cough syrup but the glee version it gets me through my day

ANYWAYSSSSS

ben writing songs about claudia coming soon and also they are for sure singing a duet that ends up on his EP AND I HAVE THE PERFECT SONG FOR IT