chapter one hundred twenty.

It was time for Janis to leave rehab, something that Claudia had been preparing for. She decided to tell Edward when Janis was coming home in case he wanted to see her, but he didn't confirm anything. Layna showed up to see Janis though, and surprisingly Lucy too.

Claudia was currently waiting for Ben to arrive with her mom. She was far too excited to see her mom that she couldn't drive so Ben was the designated driver. Lucy tried to help Claudia relax by showing her a compilation of Ewan McGregor crying. Claudia was confused on how Lucy even knew that even existed so she watched it along with Layna.

Several minutes passed and all three girls were in a youtube wormhole of video essays. It was something Lucy did to pass time. By the time they finished their third video, Ben opened the door and allowed Janis to enter.

Claudia stood up immediately to hug her mom. She looked healthier, more happy. Her hair was curled and she wore her best clothes.

"I missed you so much. I'm glad you're back." Claudia kissed her mom's cheek and let her go.

Layna took the opportunity to hug Janis before anyone else could. "You look beautiful, Janis." She pulled away after several seconds.

"Thank you my girls. I'm happy." Janis said. She then looked around, hoping Edward would come out of a room to greet her, but he didn't.

Layna noticed and spoke up. "He stayed on set. He's working on a new movie. It's called the florida project, Willem Dafoe is in it."

Janis nodded. "Good for him. He deserves all the success in the world."

To avoid anymore awkwardness, Claudia cleared her throat and introduced Lucy again. "Ma, you remember Lucy, Ben's best friend?"

Lucy held out her hand, but Janis brought the girl in for a hug. Lucy immediately felt like all her problems went away. "I remember! The funny girl that was our waitress!"

Janis let go of Lucy, who looked like she had tears in her eyes. "Are you okay, hun?" Janis was in mom mode after seeing Lucy.

"I'm okay . . . Really. I just can't believe you called me funny and gave me a hug. This is the best day of my life!"

Ben got Lucy out of the way by pushing her head to the side. "Claudia made food, all your favorites actually." He guided her to the table where everything was set up for Janis.

"Is that Mac and Cheese?" Janis asked excitedly.

"Yup! And I got ice cream cake for dessert." Claudia added.

It was one of the best nights Claudia had with her mom. She shared everything that happened while she was gone from getting kicked out of a movie theater with Lucy to celebrating her birthday with Ben. Layna had her fair share of adventures with Claudia. They mostly ended up watching sitcoms at Ben and Claudia's apartment. She had recently finished watching 'I Married Joan', now she was on a mission to watch every season of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'.

Janis laughed at a joke Lucy had said when she noticed the ring on her daughter's finger. It was too beautiful not to notice. "When did you get engaged?!"

"What?" Claudia asked before she stuffed her face with more mac and cheese.

"Your ring! Ben, when did you ask her? Oh my god, it's stunning." Janis gasped. "Tell me everything."

Ben looked at Claudia for help. He didn't want to crush Janis' heart by saying that he never proposed. Claudia also didn't know what to do, but she decided that lying wasn't the best option. She was about to tell her mom the truth when Janis spoke again.

"Thank god you proposed before I, you know. I get to see my baby girl walk down the aisle in her beautiful white dress. Or black or red, whichever you prefer, it's up to you. Go in pajamas, I don't care, but I am so happy that my girl is marrying someone like you, Ben." Janis said, already crying from joy.

Lucy smirked as she watched Ben struggle to find words to say. "Congratulations, Benny. When's the date?" She kicked his foot from under the table.

"Yeah, when's the big day?" Layna joined in which caused more panic among the couple.

"The date?" Claudia dropped her fork.

"Yeah, love, the date . . . for our totally real wedding, which is real because I definitely proposed." Ben grabbed Claudia's hand for support.

"You know what, don't even worry about it. We'll talk about it tomorrow. We have everything to plan!" Janis stood up from her seat. "Thank you all for my wonderful meal. Lucy, it was so great to see you and you tok my Layna. I need some sleep. Darling, I need to use your restroom, where is it?"

Claudia pointed to the door that was down the hall, still in shock by the news of her 'engagement'. Janis pressed a kiss to Claudia's cheek as she passed by her. Once Janis was gone, Claudia turned her attention to Ben. "What are we going to do?" She whisper-yelled.

"I don't know! I'm panicking, my hands were sweating the entire time!" Ben showed her his hands that were in fact covered in his sweat.

"Wait, so you aren't getting married?" Layna asked confused.

"No! But my mom thinks that and I don't have the heart to tell her it's not an engagement ring." Claudia replied, still panicking.

Lucy then stood up, holding her glass of Dr. Pepper in her hand. "Well, this was even better than I thought. A toast to the fake groom and bride! May your fake marriage surpass my own parents'. God knows they need couples counseling, but I have a strong feeling Mr. And Mrs. Fake Barnes will be the greatest love story ever told to your possible future fake children and their fake bratty children."

"This isn't funny, Lucy!" Ben rolled his eyes.

"Depends on where you're standing, Padfoot," Lucy smiled and drank the last of her soda. "Lay, you want me to drop you off at your dad's? We can talk about how shitty Ben is at telling lies even though he's an actor."

"Sure." Layna grabbed her belongings then thanked Ben and Claudia for the food. The couple stood up and walked the girls out, while thinking of ways to tell Janis about the ring.

"In all seriousness, you two bright minds will come up with something. In the mean time, put me down as maid of honor and Andrew can be best man," Lucy winked as she was being pushed out the apartment by Ben.

"Why would we do that?" Ben sighed.

"Isn't it tradition for the best man and maid of honor to hook up at a wedding? Honestly, Benjamin, you know I'm not one to break tradition, especially at a day as important as yours!" Lucy laughed yet again. "Weddings! They bring everyone together!"

"Bye, Lucy!" Ben fully pushed her out the door then closed it, making sure to lock it.

"I say we just tell her the truth. Rip it off like a band-aid. She won't throw anything at us, right?" Claudia looked hopeful.

Ben took one look at her and decided right then and there. He was going to spend the rest of his life with the woman he loved the most, Claudia Donovan. He didn't have a clue about what his parents would say about his 'engagement', he didn't really care if he was being honest. He had the look of love whenever Claudia was around.

"Maybe we should do it? Get married I mean." He suggested.

"Really? Do you mean that?" Claudia asked. She was all up for the idea of finally being able to call the love of her life her husband. She already knew Janis was on board with the idea of her marrying Ben.

"Claudia, I love you more than anything. If there's one thing I'm sure about, it's marrying you." Ben said.

"Then, yes! I'll marry you. Today, tomorrow, whenever." Claudia brought Ben in for a kiss that felt somehow different. A good different.

The couple didn't care if they had only been in their boyfriend girlfriend stage for less than a year. They both felt like they had known each other for years. Claudia didn't really believe in soulmates or even love, but her opinion changed when she met Ben. Cheesy as it sounds, but Ben was definitely the love of her life. In any lifetime, Claudia would always choose Ben.

An: guys breaking news, I'm going to officiate ben and claudia's wedding 😌

and my dumbass somehow got a new job idk how but here we are :) gotta get that money to see multiverse of madness 🥶❗