Chapter 23

It has been a couple weeks. Agent X had spent the night in the guest room of Hugo's house while Casey rested in a separate room after the discharge from the hospital. Hugo chewed on a grilled hot dog dabbled with ketchup and mustard while staring deep at his laptop by the table. A set of binary letters and numbers were flowing through the screen. Hugo shook his head as a drop of ketchup landed on his blue jeans. He took a napkin to wipe it up before staining his pants.

"So, that's how it went down? You actually took out Deshed?" Hugo eyebrows raised as he sat on his chair as he typed something on his flat black computer pad. 

"That's it." Agent X walked closer to Hugo, glancing at the computer screen. "Were you able to unlock anything on the zip drive?"

Hugo sighed as he was typing on the keys. "Almost, this thing is highly encrypted. It should take me about thirty minutes to unlock."

Hugo's eyes darted to the side. "So? When are you going to see her?"

Agent X looked straight ahead with a confused stare. "I don't understand."

"I'm talking about Casey."

"People like me don't have the luxury of having a life."

Hugo frowned. "Why do you do that?" 

Agent X crossed his arms."Do what?" 

Hugo sighed. "Forget it." Hugo's laptop beeped. "I got something."

An image formed on the screen with a video to play. Hugo pressed the enter button on the laptop. A scientist with a tape recorder was observing Agent X  bound to a black chair with leather brown leather straps from his feet and wrist.

"Please, you got to help me?"

The scientist pushed on the tape recorder. "Subject 13 is under an acute level of stress."

"My name is Andrew Bishop." 

 The scientist placed a device on Andrew's head as he tried to pull back. "I will begin the memory purge."

"No, you can't do this!" 

The scientist flipped the switch on his controller as he watched Andrew spasm with his feet and hands until he fell to unconsciousness.The video went to static and the feed was lost. 

Agent X's eyes shifted. A residue of sweat was forming at his forehead as he wiped away. "They always say the truth will set you free."

Hugo turned to Agent X. "Do you feel free now?"

"No."

Casey walked in the room. "Hey, can I talk with you alone?"

Hugo coughed as he got up from the chair. "Try not to break my furniture. Hugo patted Agent X on the shoulder while giving him a wink as he walked out of the room."

"Is it true?" Casey looked deep into Agent X's eyes while placing her hands into her gray sweater.

Agent X looked at Casey with a puzzled expression as his eyes squinted. "Yes."

Casey slapped Agent X across the face. Casey pounded her fist against his chest as he caught them. "Why? didn't you tell me? I could have."

Agent X lifted Casey's chin. "That wouldn't happen."

Agent X gazed long at Casey's eyes. Casey moved an inch closer to Agent X's lips. She pulled back as screams came from outside the room. Agent X and Casey ran into a room witnessing Hugo taking bloody blows to the face by a couple of men. Agent X noticed a man with a short gray bread was standing in the room.