44 - apart

- Maddy -
-- A Few Days Later --

I closed out the cash register and began packing up the excess cookies and snacks that hadn't been bought today.

I sat everything aside and went in to try and untie my apron but i already could tell there was a tight knot i could barely even reach.

"I'll help." A guy's voice traveled towards me before i felt his hands caress mine to take over the action on getting the knot loose.

"Thanks, Ryan." I gave him a quick smile after hanging it away. "No problem." My colleague still sticked around which made me hesitate to head to the dressing room.

"Any plans for tonight?"

"Nothing significant. You?" I responded.

"Same so perhaps we could arrange something?"

"Honestly, i'm way too exhausted after today," i showcased a guilty expression, "sorry."

"I mean it doesn't have to be a walk like i took you on one yesterday. We could head to a restaurant. The only energy you'll need will be to pick up a fork." I heard him release a playfully laugh to his own words but nothing in me was ready to copy such a positive attitude.

"My aunt is at the cabin. She's staying the night so i'm sorry but i won't be able to join you on this offer." I kept my intention clear, seeing the sadness fill his eyes.

"But tomorrow we could do something." I immediately said. "Certain? I got a shorter shift though but i can wait until you clock out."

"Yes," i delivered a pat on his shoulder, "tomorrow but now, goodnight, already 10 pm." I plastered a decent smile but didn't hesitate to finally head to the dressing room to change.

- - -
"The manager allowed me to take some leftovers home but this is sadly all i got." I made my way back in the living room, setting the plate of snacks in front of Audrey.

"Oh, Mads, this is okay! Enough for the both of us." She immediately exclaimed with a smile and i took a seat next to her.

"Won't eat?" My aunt asked as she had already taken a bite of the food. "Not hungry." I forcefully admitted but i could already sense the regret as pure worry spread her face.

"Mads," her hand laid right on top of mine, "you're not about to tell me that you're drifting back to-"

"Audrey, i swear to god, if you mention it, you'll make things worse!" I abruptly stopped her. "Okay, i won't say anything about it but i'm not about to act dumb of not seeing that something is wrong. Where's Lauren anyways? I finally got the chance to come for a visit and you both aren't together?"

"She's gone." I mumbled out, feeling myself sink into deeper numbness the more i have to remember that fact.

"Gone?! Maddy, what do you mean gone?! She's- No! Is she.."

"Audrey, i don't know." I calmly responded. "We had been on a vacation to Switzerland but one morning i woke up and she was just gone. Till this point i have no idea what has happened or where she is but deep down i'm certain what the cause of it is."

"What is it? What's the cause?"

"Work, of course. Sure it's strange that she left without telling me beforehand or even just a few hours afterwards but i've grown used to this behavior."

"What the hell has happened between you two? We have been keeping contact almost every week but you've told me nothing about this!"

"Opening up makes me feel weak, Audrey. Like i'm asking for attention." I confessed, keeping my stare down from fiddling with the bracelet around my wrist.

"You're losing yourself again, aren't you?" The question sent pure hurt through my body and i looked up at her, building up the courage to speak and remember what had happened.

"Lately i have been focused more on myself. Well not quite lately, only these few days Lauren has been away and i guess i should admit it that i truly need to take care of myself more and not just focus on the things around me."

"Maddy," i watched her grab my hand in hers, "you know that you should love yourself first before anything else?" Audrey admitted. "Is that even possible to do when i already didn't think of my own self when i stepped into the water those years ago?"

"Okay, listen, we're not sleeping tonight. We'll be having a girls night and talk about-"

The sudden ringing of my phone stopped Audrey's words and i went in to take it off the table to be met with the last person i expected to call.

"It's Lauren." I faintly said. "Well, answer. I'm about to lecture her for how she's been treating and not taking good care of you!"

I didn't hesitate to finally accept the call, pressing the phone against my ear to hear pure silence in the first few seconds.

"Sudden emergency. A client needed me to come with him to England." I heard her begin but at this point i felt nothing but numbness from those words.

"Took you more than a week to inform me about it?" I held the obvious annoyance in my tone.

"Sorry, Maddy."

"You always are and that word doesn't fix anything anymore."

"Just hold tight for a few more days. I'll be back. Please be patient, sweetheart."

"No, Lauren," i immediately exclaimed, trying my best to hold the strong character visible, "you either come back tomorrow or i'm done being patient." I said but silence once again took over.

"I can't be back by tomorrow. Not so soon."

"Then don't bother even checking on me anymore." I replied and hung up without another word said.

- Lauren -

I pulled the phone in front of me, seeing as Maddy had cut the call off and my eyes were on the edge of soaking up yet the sound of a throat being cleared by the door had my head whip towards the direction.

"Good decision of not telling her the truth. I assume you're trying to keep her safe." My mother spoke out after forcing the cracked door further open.

"I swear to god, if i lose her because of you, i'll-"

"You'll what?!" Hannah shouted back. "Lauren, i'm basically on my last years on being able to stand up from my own bed so the most you can give me is assurance that i leave this world with my daughters being smart and accomplishing things i wanted but didn't have time for."

>>>