50 - back home

- Lauren -

I placed the phone against my ear and took my suitcase off the conveyor belt, extending the handle before slowly making my way out the airport.

The call kept going though. At this point losing hope she'll answer from most likely being at work but before i was going to decline and call again, i heard as it was answered.

"Maddy? Hi! Sorry i'm calling in the middle of the day, you're probably at work but i have good news! Sweetheart, i'm-"

"You broke your promise." Her words abruptly stopped my confession. "Well you never made a promise about it but you still lied to me." She kept going and my joyfulness took a notch down.

"Maddy, that's why i'm calling you right now. I'm-"

"Wanna apologize? Don't. I don't want to hear it nor is there a point."

"Baby, please, let me talk." I said and sat my luggage down after stepping out of the airport.

"Are you cheating on me? Were you away because of someone else and not work like you said?" Her question had pure disbelief flood over me.

"Maddy, what? No! Listen, i have to tell you something. I wasn't even away because of work but i don't wanna explain everything to you over the phone so where are you? At the coffee shop, right?"

"Lied to me again?"

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" I immediately asked, acknowledging deep down that her voice sounded stuffed. "Just tired." She said but i could tell it wasn't just a lack of sleep but lack of hope and happiness that made her act the way she did.

"Lauren, do you even love me anymore?"

"Baby," i took in a breath, knowing how bad she has actually gotten, "if you ever heard the way i talked about you to every soul around me, you would never doubt my love for you."

"I wish i could hear it then. I really wish because i still want you. No matter how much time we're going to spend apart or how far away we are from one another other. It's you, it always will be."

"Then please listen to me right now. I wish i could tell you this in person but-"

"Wanna say sorry? I forgive you. Broke your so called promise about coming back last weekend. I forgive you. Now found out you lied to me about why you were away, i still forgive you but i'll also forget about it and i'll forget about you. If i don't, you'll keep hurting me and i'll keep letting you."

"Baby, stop. What's wrong? Where are you? I'm literally right here. I'll come to-" My confession, for god knows what time, was interrupted but this time fully as i heard the call cut off.

"Shit." I mumbled out and grabbed my suitcase, heading towards the parking lot right away. "I thought you landed at 10:20 am." Audrey spoke out from over the car but i sat my luggage in the boot, getting right into the passenger seat.

"Honestly, just go, we'll talk whilst on the ride." I said yet focused back on my phone, trying to call Maddy back.

"I wanna have a proper talk to you. I got a lot of things i wanna say." I heard Maddy's aunt speak but i declined the unanswered call. "About what?" I questioned but pressed the phone against my ear from trying to reach her again.

"Maddy, of course. You're an ass for disappearing for close to a month. Explanation?"

"God! Audrey, long story, not now. All i want right now is for you to bring me to the coffee shop. I can feel something is wrong. I know it."

"Wait, what's going on? Who are you trying to call so eagerly?"

"My long lost dog. Audrey, of course, Maddy! She answered after i got my luggage but i swear, it sounded like she's been crying. Won't even begin to list the things she was telling me."

"But you told her that you're back here, right?"

"That's the thing, i didn't get the chance to! She kept interrupting me but when i got close, she cut the call off." I confessed.

"Okay! I think it's time for me to kick your ass since i didn't do it the first time. Lauren, do you remember what happened?! I don't want-"

"Audrey, i don't want to believe it that she's at that point again too but just drive! Speed if you can, i'll pay if we get stopped!"

"Lauren, where the fuck even were you?! Listen, this dumb job of yours is putting Maddy through so much! Have you acknowledged that?"

"I left the job! It's done. I only took it for one reason but i'll tell you everything later. Now please drive faster!"

- - -
My hand forced the entrance door open and i didn't hesitate to pass the tables and walked straight to the front counter of the coffee shop.

"Where's Maddy?" I asked the guy whilst examining the whole area and not seeing a sight of her. "Lauren?" His voice brought my eyes back on him, seeing the surprise expression on his face.

"Where's Maddy?! Is she in today?!"

"Listen, would you calm down! There's people here!" He leaned over the cash register from speaking in a low voice himself.

"Answer the damn question," i gave a quick glance down to his name tag and back up, "Ryan."

"I actually know you. Maddy's girlfriend, right? She's said a lot about you before and after you vanished. May i know the cause for you putting her through such misery?"

"I swear, if you don't shut the fuck up and tell me where she is, i'll force the answer out of you in front of all these damn people!" I kept my voice up, not even caring of everyone hearing the conversation.

"Me and her have gotten close. She's a nice girl. Good catch. Aren't afraid you'll lose her or maybe you already have?"

I think the rage this idiot was giving me had any other emotions blocked from overcoming me and i reached my hand over the counter, getting a good handful of his shirt to hold him close.

"Is she here or not?" I spat out and i think my action finally knocked down his confidence completely from his eyes holding visible fear.

"She took a day off today so she's at the cabin." I heard him confess and i yanked my hand off his collar before rushing back out to Audrey's car.

>>>