Twenty-Seven

The plan was set. Bruce didn't want to risk anything by waiting longer. The sooner they got Madeline from the Joker's custody, the less likely that he would do something that would put her in danger.

Friday.

Friday was the last day that Madeline would spend with Joker.

While Maddie was learning how to ride her bike, Batman was learning where Joker made camp.

While she was planning what other movies to watch with Andy and Tommy, Batman was planning the logistics of the raid with the police.

While Maddie brushed her teeth and hair, Batman polished his armor and weapons.

The hour of separation was nigh.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

When Maddie woke up on Friday morning, the world seemed bright and shiny, like a glittering promise of the day ahead. She grinned happily along with the smiling sun and hopped out of her comfy bed.

Unlike on her birthday, there was no glittering princess dress awaiting her. Though Madeline was now anxiously awaiting Halloween, eager to see what surprises the holiday would yield.

Instead, Madeline got her own outfit from one of the lower shelves in her closet. She chose a flowery yellow sundress, as she had not trained with Joker since his last attempt at it, and she no longer worried about the possibility.

Just as she finished changing, someone knocked on her door.

"Madeline? You up yet?" Called Andy. He and Tommy had taken to letting her get herself up in the mornings as, if she were in a normal situation, by that time the next year, Madeline would be going to kindergarten. But she was Joker's ward, so no such reality would exist for her in his world.

"Yes!" Maddie answered, running to her bedroom door. She swung the door open to reveal her two caretakers, who both seemed to share in her happy sentiment. "What are we doing today?"

"Not sure, really. We should probably read some little book together to brush up on your reading, but other than that, we don't really have to do anything today," Tommy replied.

"Actually, I thought I would read with Madeline today," cut in a fourth person. Andy and Tommy turned and stepped back to see that their boss had snuck up on them. "If that's alright with you, gentlemen."

Andy and Tommy were in no position to argue with their renowned employer, and so remained silent.

"Perfect. If you men could leave us to our studies then," Joker grinned, gesturing out the door.

Andrew and Thomas reluctantly took their leave, hoping that nothing explosive would happen between the two.

"You two take a day for yourselves. Get out of the house. I've got this," J ordered.

As the couple left, deciding to head out to a spa for the day, Maddie dashed over to her little bookshelf and selected a book that she hadn't read before. She sat down on her bed, thin book in hand and patted the bedspread beside her for J to sit.

Joker smiled, amused, and plopped down onto the bed beside her, scanning the title of the book she'd chosen. Are You My Mother? the spine read. How fitting.

Surprisingly, through a brief glimmer of memory, Joker could recall having read this book as a child. It was the first time in a long time that he'd remembered anything from his childhood. Or his past, for that matter.

Will You Be My Daddy? ~Joker Fanfiction~जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें