Twenty-Nine

Bruce Wayne and his butler stood in the corner of the room where Maddie was sleeping, whispering quietly to each other.

"Master Wayne, perhaps we should consider a visit?" Alfred suggested.

"Absolutely not. We can't let him get his claws in her again. There's no way I'm leaving her alone with that madman," Bruce denied, shaking his head.

"Well then what would you suggest? Joker is that little girl's hero, and by keeping her from him you're only making yourself the bad guy in her eyes. Perhaps seeing him in Arkham will wake her up from the fantasy world he's created," Alfred huffed.

"What we need to do is track down her remaining family. She said something about her 'old daddy' being dead, so we need to figure out who that is. Have we heard anything from Gordon? Did he find the stolen file?" Bruce asked.

"I haven't gotten any word from the police Commissioner. He would call you anyways, or him rather," Alfred sighed. "Why don't you head down there—as yourself—and see what they can tell you. I can hold down the fort here."

"Are you sure? She's decently trained in martial arts," Bruce asked.

"So were you, and you turned out fine, didn't you?" Alfred scoffed.

"Debatable," Bruce grinned.

"Oh, shove off," Alfred chuckled.

Bruce smiled at his father figure before taking his advice, leaving to head to the police station. Alfred took one last look at the sleeping girl and went downstairs to prepare a spot of tea for when she woke up.

Right as Bruce's expensive Porsche left the mansion's gates behind, Andy and Tommy pulled up to them in their 'new' car. They rang the buzzer, not quite sure what to do or how to get to Maddie.

Alfred heard the buzzer and figured that Bruce had just forgotten something and needed back in. He opened the gates without looking at the camera.

Andy and Tommy exchanged glances as the gates opened without a peep.

"They're pretty trusting," Drew muttered.

"Let's just be glad of it," Tom sighed.

Meanwhile, Madeline slowly blinked awake as she felt a cool breeze brushing over her from the open window. She turned to face the disturbance, eyes still red and puffy from crying. What she saw caused her to widen her eyes in shock and sit up straight.

"Hello, kitten," Selina purred. "Miss me?"

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Andy and Thomas cautiously climbed out of the car, shutting the doors and heading to the intimidating front door of the manor. Andy glanced over, saw a doorbell, and pressed it, causing loud, gong-like rings to emit in the front causeway.

Alfred turned, frowning as he heard the doorbell. Bruce certainly wouldn't ring the doorbell to his own house.

He set the tea tray he'd prepared down and went to the front door, peering through the peephole at the unexpected guests. The butler narrowed his eyes before swinging the door open.

"Can I help you gents with something?" He asked.

"Yes, actually. We were hoping to speak to Bruce Wayne. It's about the girl," Tommy said confidently.

Alfred's eyes widened in shock. "Right, um, well, why don't you just step in here a moment. Master Wayne isn't here right now. I'll just go call him. He'll want to know you're here."